Published papers

Paving the way: creating space for the doctoral journey - published June 2015

Picture of Jane Spiro
Paving the way: creating space for the doctoral journey - published June 2015
by Jane Spiro - Sunday, 6 September 2015, 9:20 AM

Dear EJOLTS community,

I am attaching work in progress on 'creating space for the doctoral journey', which is shared with four doctoral students on my doctoral writing programme.  Your comments would be much appreciated as I try to explain my living theory and let the students' own voices shine out as part of our shared narrative.

But does it work?  Am I clear?  Do our testimonies connect clearly?  

(Edited by Marie Huxtable - original submission Wednesday, 20 May 2015, 11:06 PM)

Picture of Jacqueline Scholes-Rhodes
Re: Paving the way: creating space for the doctoral journey
by Jacqueline Scholes-Rhodes - Thursday, 21 May 2015, 9:22 AM

Dear Jane

I felt very engaged when I read your clear intent with this paper - the notion of 'creative space', the continuous cycle of learner/teacher and the connection with others' voices. 

And as I read I began to wonder if the structure was somehow getting in the way. I feel it could be clearer, helping the reader trace the path you've set out in your introduction, and illustrate the inter-connections with your students in a much more powerful way. At the moment for me those other voices feel a little detached. 

I've aimed to explain that a little more in my attached document - and I hope it's helpful in generating more dialogue around your account so that it achieves the full impact you're aiming for. 

Best wishes

Jacqui       

Picture of Jane Spiro
by Jane Spiro - Friday, 29 May 2015, 11:26 PM

Dear Jacqui, 

Thanks so much for your clarity in your thoughts here and I am in absolute agreement with you point by point. I find your thinking really helpful in shining a light on the key changes I need to make. I was aware in writing that I had left the doctoral student voices as separate threads which had not been pulled together: but was not sure if and how I should be the concluding word.  But I think structurally this would be more consistent and clearer . 

So to work through your points about structure:

Thank you for identifying what you see as the two main intents of the paper. Yes, you have explained these and as you do, have made it clearer to me where those intentions have been hazy or not tied together. 

1) Surface points: of course the sections should be clearly labelled Part One and Part Two.

2) Yes, I only focused on two of the five values I had identified in my earlier paper on creative space. My thinking was that, on reviewing these 5 years later as self-as-teacher, these two seemed to be the most central values and also those which had changed most, But of course I didn't explain this clearly!  So I will do. 

3) Yes, then I simply throw the reader into four different accounts and voices.  I agree I need to introduce this section with a few key points: how do I wish the reader to connect these voices both with my own, and with one another?  How do these voices demonstrate what I mean by creative space?  

4) And then yes, of course and agreed, the section needs to be concluded. What does this reveal and what does it not reveal about my living theory?  What is the difference between telling a story, and evolving a living theory? How can one lead to the other?  Are these questions which would be interesting to ask and answer as a conclusion to the paper and to Part 2? 

5) Your comment comparing inclusion and joint endeavour is brilliant, Jacqui!  I love it!  Jenny, Dan, Adrian and Kathleen have agreed to inclusion - but it is up to me to make sense of this in the ways I've suggested at 3) and 4) above.   

So I think there are 4 ways I will make changes:  naming sections clearly; explaining  core values more clearly;  introducing a way of reading the 4 doctoral accounts more clearly, showing their links with creative space; pulling threads together in a clear conclusion.  

Thank you Jacqui! Those changes are achievable and I am happy to address them. I'll aim to upload the revised paper in the light of this on Sunday.

Warm wishes and thanks for your really respectful and thoughtful review - much appreciated indeed,

Jane 

Picture of Jack Whitehead
by Jack Whitehead - Friday, 22 May 2015, 5:22 PM

Dear Jane - I've enjoyed your paper and read Jacqueline's responses which include a point about her feeling that your students responses feel a little detached from your own writings. I'm wondering if a brief addition at the end of the writings on page 8 might help with these connections. I'm thinking of a couple of sentences at the end of ii) on What does creative space mean for my own pedagogy as a doctoral teacher?

I think that one of your doctoral student's writings (Jocelyn Demirbag) is due to be published in the June 2015 of EJOLTS. In my reviewer's responses of the 4th May to Jocelyn's writings I say that:

I'm delighted to see you acknowledging the evidence in your Ed.D. and other writings, that supports your recognition of yourself as a Doctor Educator 

I'm wondering if the creative space you have contributed to with Jocelyn, that has enabled her to recognise herself as a Doctor Educator, might nudge you from seeing yourself as a doctoral teacher to seeing yourself as a Doctor Educator in that you have influenced Jocelyn's recognition of herself? Jocelyn's paper on 'Gifts of the Dissertation Process' might reflect back to you the educational influence of the 'creative space' through which Jocelyn recognises herself as a Doctor Educator. It might be that Jocelyn's gift may also influence your perception of yourself as a Doctor Educator?

Picture of Jane Spiro
Sharing gifts and building communities
by Jane Spiro - Friday, 29 May 2015, 11:56 PM

Thank you Jack for this delightful link with Jocelyn's paper on the gifts of doctoral learning.

Following up on your thoughts here Jack: I've highlighted in bold below the parts I think are really significant for what I might add to my paper.

I'm wondering if the creative space you have contributed to with Jocelyn, that has enabled her to recognise herself as a Doctor Educator, might nudge you from seeing yourself as a doctoral teacher to seeing yourself as a Doctor Educator in that you have influenced Jocelyn's recognition of herself? 

I think this is about making the leap in self-recognition from Doctoral supervisor/teacher, to Educator, and how this can bring others into its embrace.  

Jocelyn's paper on 'Gifts of the Dissertation Process' might reflect back to you the educational influence of the 'creative space' through which Jocelyn recognises herself as a Doctor Educator.

Your thoughts in connection with Jocelyn make me acknowledge another influence which I'd be happy to develop. This was how I have worked to build a doctoral community and partnership between Oxford/Hawaii. One moment - which seems to me symbolic and quintessential - was when Jocelyn and 5 of her Hawaiian colleagues, joined us at the  Oxford Brookes EdD colloquium. They opened the day by singing the Hawaiian anthem in front of the Hawaiian flag, one part of which includes the Union Jack. Kawehi said, "this reminds us that we have always been connected in some way with the United Kingdom".

Jocelyn and I agreed that this was an incredibly moving moment, and something utterly unique for my Oxford Brookes colleagues. So I think I'd like to share this and then bring into the frame of discussion the synergies between our doctoral communities on opposite sides of the planet, and the beauty of Jocelyn's paper as representative of this.  

It might be that Jocelyn's gift may also influence your perception of yourself as a Doctor Educator?

Yes, I like the idea of sharing the 'gifts' Jocelyn describes and relating them to I, and to I: Thou in the way we have worked together (and hope to continue to do so as I embark on a book proposal that I hope will involve Jocelyn and the Hawaiian educators she introduced me to). 

Thank you Jack for those ideas and specifically locating them in Part 1 ii where I look at the links between creative space and my doctoral pedagogy. I think it would fit very well into that section.

Then in the conclusion I might pull all the threads together with two points:

sharing gifts:  

building communities: 

where I can bring together Dan, Kathleen, Jenny, Adrian, Jocelyn, myself in a trans-Pacific, pre- and post-doctoral partnership.

Picture of Jacqueline Delong
by Jacqueline Delong - Friday, 22 May 2015, 11:39 PM

Hi, Jane. I loved the collaborative nature of the article-your voice and the voices of the students. I think it would take very little to make "connections" between your work and theirs. This could be in the form of a conclusion: maybe a focus on our learning together. You say:

What is interesting, is that, although our stories are highly specific and individual accounts of learning, they connect to form a collective one about the capacity of doctoral learning to transform. 

I think that is key to the article. 

On another note, You say, "It is of deep interest to me, as I track transitions, to place in dialogue with one another, the voice of the 2008 PhD graduate, and the 2015 teacher-researcher-educator I have since become. I really loved this concept. I need to think about that myself.

This is a very interesting article. Please take my suggestions as thoughts for improvement and not criticism. I do want to see the article published.

Love, Jackie

Picture of Jane Spiro
by Jane Spiro - Saturday, 30 May 2015, 12:06 AM

Thank you Jackie for these really generous and helpful words.

I absolutely agree that a conclusion would help and I see that clearly now.  In my response to Jacqui I have thought about what I might include in that conclusion - but I think you are right that the most coherent way of structuring these ideas is to return to my credo at the start, and explain it in the light of our 5 testimonies (theirs and mine);

What is interesting, is that, although our stories are highly specific and individual accounts of learning, they connect to form a collective one about the capacity of doctoral learning to transform. 

In my response to Jack he and I have suggested these collective/individual stories include the trans-Pacific partnership I have brokered with Hawaii doctorate students - and most especially with Jocelyn. I have learnt much much more from her than vice versa, and perhaps this is an aspect that would be interesting to refer to.

So thank you Jackie - I will make the links both in Part 1 ii on doctoral pedagogy;  in an introduction to Part 2, and again in the conclusion of Part 2 and the whole paper. 

Picture of Pip Bruce Ferguson
by Pip Bruce Ferguson - Sunday, 24 May 2015, 10:03 AM

Dear all - I have now read and attached a track changed version of your paper.

Well done - it will make a good contribution to EJOLTS and I believe is a very honest and transparent account of the ups and downs of a doctoral journey. I like the way Jane's work as support and programme leader provides an overview of what you've all been working on, but would like to see this more clearly through three of the four subsequent journeys.

I also think it needs a summary and conclusion, perhaps summarising the honesty of all in revealing their vulnerabilities and challenges. I don't think anyone who goes through a doctoral journey comes out 'the same'. There are various tongue-in-cheek acronyms, such as 'Permanent Head Damage' or 'Piled High and Deep' for PhD journeys which you've probably come across. But I think, as Jane alluded to although not in such language, that coming through a completed doctoral journey gives one a sense of 'place to stand' (turangawaewae in Maori), a place from which one can claim a certain knowledge.

With the comments here and on the track changed version attached, I'd recommend publication.

Warm regards

Pip

Picture of Jane Spiro
by Jane Spiro - Saturday, 30 May 2015, 12:23 AM

Pip, thank you so much for this incredibly detailed and deeply appreciative revision of the text. It's so interesting what you have identified as the vulnerabilities and transformations of the doctoral journey.  The Maori word says so much - turangawaewae. I wish there was a single word in English half as evocative!  (perhaps it needs a whole poem in English?).

I will make my own changes now to the track change version you have sent, so these edits are all blended. 

My own changes will be a blend of all those responses above to Jacqui, Jackie and Jack (oops, only just realised how alliterative you all are!). These are:

Part 1 

i: Clearer account of my values 2008 - 2015, which have changed and why   

ii  Reference in the doctoral pedagogy section to the building of doctoral partnerships with Hawaii, and the sharing of doctoral 'gifts'  

Part 2

i Introduction to the doctoral student journeys unpacking the idea of collective v. individual stories as a way of navigating the different narratives   

ii Conclusion pulling all the threads together as sharing gifts - I, I and Thou;

building communities - - learning together, learning from, learning with   

And finally to all dear reviewers: 

It has taken a while to have the clear thinking time to read your four really helpful comments and identify what I think are the recurring and important points.  Now I have these in place I will aim to build these changes into the paper over the next 24 hours or so, and upload another version on Sunday that incorporates all your thoughts and Pip's wonderful track changes.

Thank you so much for this process, for your generous reading, and your clear and constructive  support.

Picture of Jane Spiro
Doctoral journey revised
by Jane Spiro - Sunday, 31 May 2015, 4:34 PM

Dear generous and helpful reviewers, Jackie, Jacqui, Jack and Pip,

Thank you so much for your  thoughts which have really helped me define, refine, revise, develop to make myself clearer.  I have taken on board all your ideas and in the attached, have highlighted in red what is new.  To summarise these:

1) I have clarified the 5 values more fairly and explained why some are given more attention than others (Jacqui's point)

2) I've explained in much more detail how I have mirrored my own writing as a scaffold for students - as I saw from Pip's comments that I hadn't explained this absolute key part of my pedagogy.

3) I've brought into the discussion about pedagogy, Jocelyn's paper on doctoral gifts and included the Hawaii;Brookes partnership which was my vision brought to life - (Jack's point)

4) I've introduced the four doctoral stories so they connect with what has gone before. (all of you!)

5) I've edited the doctoral stories but also explained that these have integrity on their own and are not intended to 'conveniently' map over my beliefs. This answers points made by both Jacqui and Pip.

6) I've concluded the paper with final words that I hope tie it all together.

7) I've edited the doctoral stories based on Pip's track changes but with the proviso made at 5) above that I am not putting new words into student mouths but letting them stay with 'first thoughts'.

Sorry it has taken me until the 11th hour to do all this.  One change in my writing is that I have become a 'slow incubator' - it takes me ages!  I used to write prodigiously fast, now I ponder every single word and sentence.  Subject of another paper I think!

Thank you so much reviewers for helping so much and with such kindness and collegiality,

Jane 

Picture of Jacqueline Delong
Re: Doctoral journey revised
by Jacqueline Delong - Sunday, 31 May 2015, 7:18 PM

Hi, Jane. You have made significant improvements in the article based on the reviewer's comments, which is not to say that it was anything but a very good article to start. It now seems to me to make better connections and flow from one writer to the next more smoothly. 

I didn't mention earlier that I have enjoyed your narrative of the traveller and have shared it with my students as a preamble to the research process.

Well done, Jane. I recommend your article for publication based on the submission criteria.

Love, Jackie

Picture of Jacqueline Scholes-Rhodes
by Jacqueline Scholes-Rhodes - Monday, 1 June 2015, 9:38 AM

Dear Jane

As I read your re-draft I am instantly drawn into a living sense of collaboration, experiencing the ongoing development of the 'creative space' that is now so clear from your connected accounts. Hearing the voices of your students so strongly now offers clear evidence of the claims you make for the way in which your relational 'space' offers up such richness of learning. I also appreciate the attention you have brought to the developing definition of your values, and the way in which you highlight the changes in both your understanding and their significance in your work. This is clearly the account of an ongoing journey of both insight and influence - told in a way that I believe will be both accessible and engaging for practitioners from across a diverse range of practice and research. I have no hesitation in recommending publication.

Best wishes, Jacqui        

Picture of Pip Bruce Ferguson
by Pip Bruce Ferguson - Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 10:58 AM

Dear Jane - well done you! The initial paper was good; in my opinion this one is even better. I got shivers down my spine at one point, which is always an indication of a feeling of considerable power in papers I read. I think you've really strengthened the paper from your additions, and wholeheartedly recommend its publication.

If you could put my name as Pip Bruce Ferguson I'd be grateful. I write academically with both my maiden surname and my married one, since getting my PhD. I see it as a form of tribute to my parents who supported my studies in many ways but who had both died by the time I graduated, so I'm not just being precious!

Warm regards

Pip

Picture of Jane Spiro
by Jane Spiro - Thursday, 4 June 2015, 11:18 AM

Thanks so much Pip for your comments and the 'shivers' are a really exciting indication for me of communicating well.  Of course I shall add that important name into my references to you - I hadn't realised this was your maiden name and live exactly the same dilemma.  Of course you and your family heart should be part of your named identity. I'll change that now!

Sending you warm wishes,

Jane