Published papers

Encouraging the independence of students through the - Published June 2015

Picture of Danijela Ljubac Mec
Encouraging the independence of students through the - Published June 2015
by Danijela Ljubac Mec - Sunday, 6 September 2015, 9:22 AM

Dear Reviewers,

I upload my paper to open review space and looking forward to your comments.

Danijela Ljubac Mec

(Edited by Marie Huxtable - original submission Tuesday, 17 March 2015, 4:13 PM)

Picture of Mark Potts
Re: Encouraging the independence of students through the
by Mark Potts - Saturday, 21 March 2015, 12:49 PM

Hi Danijela

I am Mark Potts and I am looking forward to reviewing your paper. I am planning to do this in the next fortnight and look forward to having a conversation with you about the ideas raised in it.

Picture of Jack Whitehead
by Jack Whitehead - Saturday, 21 March 2015, 2:34 PM

Dear Danijela - I've enjoyed very much reading your EJOLTS submission on 'Encouraging the independence of students'. I'm very impressed with the way in which you have used both qualitative and quantitative methods for gathering the data you use as evidence to justify the claims that you make. I think your paper will inspire other educators to create and share their living-educational-theories. I'm researching myself the significance of recognising educators as Master Educators because of the way they make public their embodied knowledge as educators in the process of improving learning with their students. Your paper fulfils what I recognise as the knowledge of a Master Educator. It may be that gradually 'Master Educators of Croatia' can be recognised by accrediting bodies in Croatia. 

I'll check with Marie Huxtable, the Chair of the Editorial Board about the maximum word length acceptable for EJOLTS. My own feeling is that your paper should be accepted for publication. All I think it will need are some minor typographic corrections and some brief descriptions of your meanings of a couple of words such as 'disciple' (for example on page 56, and in other places) and 'artistically' (page 17).

Should the titles of the images on 1 and 2, be reversed?

I've included some of corrections for minor typo-graphically correction in the attached file and I'm sure that there will be a few more at the proof-reading stage.

I would like to congratulate you on this paper and I'm going to be interested in your other reviewers' comments and perhaps engaging in a conversation about the wider educational significance of your paper.

Picture of Marie Huxtable
by Marie Huxtable - Sunday, 22 March 2015, 9:43 AM

On http://ejolts.net/submission we have clarified that although papers will usually be within 6,000-12,000 we will publish papers up to 18,000 words. We advise authors to try to keep a paper as short as possible as more people are likely to read it then. This paper seems to be currently 15,616 words  (plus references) so it is within our guiding word length.

by Danijela Ljubac Mec - Monday, 6 April 2015, 8:55 PM

Dear Jack,

thank you very much for your comments. I am happy that you liked it. It was a great period in my life when I was doing that research. It was full of ideas and emotions as you can see.I will correct in my paper things that you suggested.

Best regard,

Danijela

Picture of Jacqueline Delong
by Jacqueline Delong - Sunday, 22 March 2015, 7:40 PM

Hi, Danijela. I can't open the document.

Love, Jackie

by Jacqueline Delong - Sunday, 22 March 2015, 9:34 PM

Hi, Danijela. This is quality research-in my opinion, there are no critical problems with the research itself. I loved reading it. I had trouble downloading it so I am making my comments here. 

I would recommend a thorough edit as some of the wonderful ideas are stilted in the language use. As an example, the following is a very significant contribution that is restricted in its effect by the language, "We can conclude that the conduct of the teaching process should take into account the recommendations cited in the literature, but they should not be literally hold. Teaching is a creative process in which a teacher should always listen to the needs and interests of their students and consequently make decisions about how to organize certain activities. In order to know what the students respond, it is good to try different solutions and one of them is to ask for feedback."

I recommend this article for publication with the proviso that there be a full edit.

Thank you so much for persisting in getting this article into the EJOLTS framework.

Love, Jackie

by Danijela Ljubac Mec - Monday, 6 April 2015, 8:38 PM

Dear Jackie,

Thank you very much for your comments. Sorry, but  my english is not so good so I have used the translator for help. Please could you write me precisly what should I correct in article.

Danijela

Picture of Marie Huxtable
by Marie Huxtable - Tuesday, 7 April 2015, 12:11 PM

Hi Dnijela

I suggest you do what you can and post your revised paper for your reviewers to respond to. The key point is for your paper to communicate clearly and it may be that you address Jackie's points as you work with your reviewers responses. 

Looking forward to seeing your revised paper posted soon

Marie

by Jacqueline Delong - Wednesday, 29 April 2015, 8:47 PM

Hi, Danijela. I have read your article again and still do love it. It is much improved. Your comment really resonated with me as I often feel the same way: "By accompanying the students in realizing their projects, I got the impression that I was sometimes superfluous in the classroom and it seemed to me that students were so good at coping in this attempt to play the teacher's role that after the first ten minutes I was no longer essential".

I recommend the article for publication as it meets the criteria set my EJOLTS.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Danijela.

Love, Jackie

Picture of Mark Potts
by Mark Potts - Sunday, 29 March 2015, 3:32 PM

Danijela - Here is my review of your excellent paper:

Danijela's account carries important insights into how to develop pupils as independent learners. Her fascinating multimedia narrative of the educational journey that she embarked upon is heart-warming and inspirational for all educators. The context of the journey in a Croatian school becomes clear throughout her narrative. Her values leap off the page as she recounts her frustration with her practice in her first years as a new teacher. The transformation is startling as demonstrated by the data she gathered several years later. Her main conclusion that "such processes of teaching contribute to the essential learning of the students as well as their teacher", is very well supported with multimedia evidence.

Danijela's account stands as an inspiration to other educators who want to improve their practice. In a thoroughly grounded and well researched account Danijela lays bare her account of how she became a better teacher. It is an uncomfortable journey at times. Thank you Danijela for sharing it.

I found the images particularly revealing and would welcome more commentary on some of them as indicated in comments attached. I would also welcome clarification in a few areas as indicated.

Mark Potts

Picture of Pip Bruce Ferguson
by Pip Bruce Ferguson - Sunday, 29 March 2015, 5:44 PM

Hi Danijela

One of the fascinating things about EJOLTS is that people other than designated reviewers can comment. I would like to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed reading your paper. I think it is very well structured, with most impressive evidence presented to back what you are saying. I particularly like your concluding statement that teachers can often lack confidence in their students, and you have been very honest about that. I trained as a primary teacher myself, although many years back now, and your stories and pictures reminded me of the kinds of work that are possible given a dedicated teacher who is seeking to improve her own practice.

Well done!

Warm regards

Pip Bruce Ferguson

by Danijela Ljubac Mec - Monday, 6 April 2015, 8:43 PM

Dear Pip,

thank you very much for your comment. I am glad that you have liked it.

Best regard!

Danijela

by Danijela Ljubac Mec - Monday, 6 April 2015, 8:19 PM

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your comments. I'm not shore what have you mean under comment MP8.

Picture of Mark Potts
by Mark Potts - Wednesday, 8 April 2015, 10:06 PM

Danijela

In my comment MP8 I am just saying that I think this is a very good piece of evidence that supports your claims. There is no need to change anything here. Best wishes.

Mark

by Danijela Ljubac Mec - Sunday, 19 April 2015, 8:33 PM

Dear Reviewers,

I would like to thank you once again on your comments to my paper.

I'm posting now revised version according it. Hope I will have your approval for publishing.

Best regards,

Danijela Ljubac Mec

Picture of Mark Potts
by Mark Potts - Wednesday, 29 April 2015, 5:41 PM

Hi Danijela
I am just struggling to understand one part of your paper and that is the last sentence which reads:

"Our teaching is evidence that when the students approached with an open heart and when the confidence that can occur arose, there was a lovely twist that students, teachers, parents and other interested persons the quality of educational practice created together."

I am just not clear about what claim you are making here and wonder whether you can re-phrase it to make it clearer. Otherwise, I very much approve your paper for publication and look forward to seeing it in EJOLTS.
Mark Potts

by Danijela Ljubac Mec - Wednesday, 29 April 2015, 8:12 PM

Dear Mark!

Thank you very much for your comments. Sorry for that mistakes  in that part of the text. There I wanted to say that our teaching is just proof that when the students came up with an open heart, and when they were given the trust , can arise wonderful works.

Best wishes!

Danijela

by Danijela Ljubac Mec - Friday, 1 May 2015, 9:58 AM

Dear Reviewer,

I'm sending the final version of my paper with small change of sentance commented by Mark Potts.

Thank you once again for your reviews and comment which improve my paper.

Danijela Ljubac Mec

Picture of Jack Whitehead
by Jack Whitehead - Wednesday, 29 April 2015, 2:15 PM

Dear Danijela - I've enjoyed reading your paper and I am very happy to recommend it for publication in EJOLTS. I particularly like the way your paper shows pupils reflecting on their learning and the way that the paper includes responses to pupils in the explanations of educational influences in the pupils' learning as well as your own. I was also impressed by the inclusion of parents' responses as these influences, whilst important, are often missed out of much educational research. I am looking forward to seeing your paper published in EJOLTS so that we can enhance the influence of your Living Theory research and living-theory.

I know that responding to reviewers' evaluative comments isn't always easy and you have shown an admirable and sustained commitment to responding to the comments that have helped to enhance the communication of your ideas.  

Love Jack.

by Danijela Ljubac Mec - Wednesday, 29 April 2015, 8:16 PM

Dear Jack,

thanks for your nice comments. I am so proud and happy when I can see that you liked it. Also thank you for your recommendation for publishing.

Best regard!

Danijela