Published papers

How Can I Help My Students Promote Learner Autonomy in English Language Learning?

Picture of Pip Bruce Ferguson
Re: How Can I Help My Students Promote Learner Autonomy in English Language Learning?
by Pip Bruce Ferguson - Thursday, 12 November 2009, 7:42 PM

Dear Li Yahong and Jacqueline

This is a great 'learning' conversation for all of us, including those of us not formally involved in the reviewing process. I do believe that what is going on here is that not only is Li Yahong learning to shape her writing to the standards of this e-journal, but also she is teaching us about aspects of Chinese educational practice.

I visited China last year, and did a couple of 'guest lectures' on action research at Universities there. It's a great place, and I warmly encourage readers to visit if you get the chance!  I think my rather lively presentation style (I don't like standing up the front when I can walk among the students asking questions!) was a bit of a shock to many of the Chinese. I have to say, though, at one University the students responded well and started to participate. In the other, however, the Dean was present and I think people were a bit scared to speak out. It was a wonderful chance to meet with fellow educators and to learn something about their practice - the strengths of it, and how mine is different. I thank you, Li Yahong, for sharing these thoughts and advice with us through this journal.

Warm regards

Pip Bruce Ferguson