Open reviewing process

As educators and educational researchers, what contribution has a Living Educational Theory approach made to helping us to improve the quality of our practice and our lives?

As educators and educational researchers, what contribution has a Living Educational Theory approach made to helping us to improve the quality of our practice and our lives?

by Jacqueline Delong -
Number of replies: 6

Hi, everyone. We are uploading our article having made the amendments that the blind reviewers have recommended. We thank them for improving our article. We look forward to the suggestions from the open review process.

Love, Cathy and Jackie

In reply to Jacqueline Delong

Re: As educators and educational researchers, what contribution has a Living Educational Theory approach made to helping us to improve the quality of our practice and our lives?

by John Branch -
The article is much improved, especially in readability. I have a few suggestions to finalise it for publication:

1. I like the idea of bringing other voices into the dialogue, to illustrate that the authors' living educational theories are indeed living, with input from colleagues, friends, etc. I found it confusing, however, to call the other voices Reflection, because the authors (Cathy and Jackie) both reflect throughout the article. I suggest simply using the names of these other 'characters' as they appear in the story.
2. Similarly, I found it difficult at times to know whose voice I was reading, because the article has multiple 'levels': the authors in their article authoring mode, the authors voices in quotations, the authors reflecting, etc. I think that this could be solved with some clever formatting (italics, or different colours for different voices, etc.), which would make it very clear whose voice and at which level.
3. Check for consistency on terminology (video versus clip, etc.).

Re: As educators and educational researchers, what contribution has a Living Educational Theory approach made to helping us to improve the quality of our practice and our lives?

by Mark Potts -
Thanks very much for your joint paper. It is fascinating to read how your professional relationship has developed within a living educational theory framework.

This jointly written article articulates for me how Jackie and Cathy are both becoming living global citizens. Jackie through her mentoring work and Cathy through her work as a school principal. Jackie mentions (p7) that she sees herself as a mentor to "living global citizens" around the world. This article stands as a wonderful example of how that can be done and it has got me wondering about how I can capture the various ways in which people are themselves becoming living global citizens with a view to inspiring others to do the same.

I have three suggestions for improvement of the paper before final publication:
1. Where there are reflections noted in the article, I feel that it would help the reader if the author of those reflections were identified. In some cases they are but this is not consistent throughout.
2. The video clips are used very well as supporting evidence throughout the paper. However, in video 4 I was unable to hear the conversation that is recorded as a transcript underneath it in the article. Also, the link for video 10 was incorrect.
3. There are a few grammatical errors that require attention.
For further details please refer to the attached copy of the article with review comments added.
In reply to Mark Potts

by Jacqueline Delong -
Hi, Reviewers. Cathy and I think you so much for your detailed responses to our article. I have tried to address each comment and feel that we have strengthened our article considerably. Please find our latest amendments.

Love, Cathy and Jackie

Re: posted on behalf of Bonnie Kaplan

by Marie Huxtable -

To Cathy and Jackie

Your life affirming energy flowing values bounce right off the page and right out of each video. I found it very meaningful when you say you are not doing the practice to write a paper.....'I'm doing it as a practitioner'. (Cathy)

Your long term relationship using your own Living Educational Theory, values and commitment for me is very inspiring and has ignited my own desire to go  deeply into reflective practice to improve my practice. I like the notion of what you are writing about, not how you write it.

Jackie, your experience as a mentor come through all the time with the care and love you reveal in facial expressions and comments. In my notes I have written 'transformative potential of encounter' - the evidence of that is clear throughout the videos, reflections and writing. Page 4.... you mention influence and being influenced..... you are listening deeply, your listening is embodied and you are clearly willing to embrace the transformative power of improving your practice.

Cathy, you are a total inspiration at your deep commitment to Living Educational Theory, Action research and improving your practice. I love how you find small pockets of time in a busy schedule to do so!
Cathy, your video planning beforehand would help the viewer. Have the camera at eye level so that we can see your face full on to catch all your expressions and body language. Light must be in front of you not behind you. The camera on whatever device you are using must be secure and not move. (I found it distracted me from the gems I heard from you). The lighting and colours were comfortable in the video where you wore black and grey. It was pleasing to the eye (for me that is important as a creative person). I loved your cat coming and going, it added to the beautiful personality I felt coming through. I also loved the reflections in a wooden hut, it made me think you went off to a 'hermitage' where you could reflect.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your paper. Just check some spelling and sentence construction page 7 and 9 mainly. 

You have had a huge impact on me to improve my practice and be mindful of  'the transformative potential of encounter' when I am a reflective practitioner IN relationships, like the two of you are. I believe your paper meets the publishing criteria. Thank you for the effort you have put into it.

Page 7- check spelling, see below:

Our history includes our experiences in sharing our knowledge in the 2013 special issue of EJOLTs (Campbell et al, 2013; Delong et al, 2013, Whitehead, 2013; Delong, 2013; Griffin, 2013; Campbell, 2013. In the Foreward, Moira Laidlaw (2013) wrote:

The following link is not correct:

Video 10: The Living Curriculum: Student Action Research Projects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEoc-rNG4xE 

(Delong, 2021)

In reply to Marie Huxtable

Re: posted on behalf of Bonnie Kaplan

by Jacqueline Delong -
Hi, everyone. Cathy and I feel that we are close to a final version. We have addressed all the comments that we could (Cathy is going to work on the aesthetics of recording videos in the future).

Love, Jackie

by Mark Potts -
Hi Jackie and Cathy
I am very happy to recommend your article for publication in EJOLTS. Thanks for attending to the suggested edits.
Best wishes
Mark