Open reviewing process

Making Magic: What contribution has a Living Educational Theory approach made towards helping me to improve the quality of my practice?

Making Magic: What contribution has a Living Educational Theory approach made towards helping me to improve the quality of my practice?

by Swaroop Rawal -
Number of replies: 15

Hello reviewers and other EJOLTs colleagues,

This is my draft paper; it has passed through the process of blind-review. I have tried to address most of the issues that the blind-reviewers raised.

I enjoyed writing this paper; I hope you enjoy reading it. I would really be happy to receive your comments I am sure they would help strengthen my paper. Looking forward.....

Love,

Swaroop Rawal

In reply to Swaroop Rawal

Re: Making Magic: What contribution has a Living Educational Theory approach made towards helping me to improve the quality of my practice?

by Bernie Sullivan -

Hi Swaroop,

I really enjoyed reading your paper, and your enjoyment from engaging in Living Theory research was palpable. Reading your paper also provided a learning experience for me - while I am quite familiar with pedagogy and andragogy, I had not come across the concept of heutagogy previously. 

There are just a couple of things that would make the paper more accessible to readers. You mention the plural structure of the paper and because of this, a little more clarity is needed, for example in making the context of a particular section more explicit. This might be just one sentence as a signpost for your reader, when you move on to another context.

You mentioned carrying out research with three generations and I wondered did you mean with three cohorts of students, as the research was spread over fifteen years, and this would not encompass three generations?

There are some grammatical/spelling errors that I have marked on the paper.

I look forward to the next iteration, Swaroop! I will attach the guideline form here and will then upload the annotated paper.

Kind regards,

Bernie.

In reply to Bernie Sullivan

Re: Making Magic: What contribution has a Living Educational Theory approach made towards helping me to improve the quality of my practice?

by Swaroop Rawal -
Reply to Bernie
Dear Bernie and Abdul,
Thank you very much for the hard work you have put in to comment on my paper. I am so moved because I can see the efforts that have gone in. I have corrected all the typos and missing words. I felt really ashamed to see them...my only excuse is that trying to reply to the blind review created a bit of chaos. That is exactly what happened to the reference list. I had deleted some sentences and forgot to delete the reference.
I have tried to answer your comments to the best of my ability. Please do excuse me if in places I have not agreed with your remarks. This process is still on-going as I am waiting for my third reviewer’s comments. I will then bring together all the changes. I am sure that will make my paper stronger.

I can post only one doc at a time so I will post the reply to Bernie here.
Thanking you,
Love,
Swaroop

by Abdul Hameed Panhwar -
Hi Swaroop

Your paper is a real magic. I really enjoyed reading it and definitely have learnt a great deal from it. I am thinking of following your methods.

Being new to the team, I may be wrong somewhere in my comments. However, I feel, you still need to provide more details regarding your processes and methods for the reader new to EJOLTS philosophy. And also, there are some typos, spelling, language errors and referencing errors which I have indicated in my comments..

I am attaching here the annotated draft of the manuscript and reviewer guidance. I hope, my comments on the manuscript guidance will be helpful.

Best wishes

Abdul Hameed

by Abdul Hameed Panhwar -
Here is reviewer guidance. I could not attach both files together.

Abdul
In reply to Abdul Hameed Panhwar

by Swaroop Rawal -
Reply to Abdul

Dear Bernie and Abdul,
Thank you very much for the hard work you have put in to comment on my paper. I am so moved because I can see the efforts that have gone in. I have corrected all the typos and missing words. I felt really ashamed to see them...my only excuse is that trying to reply to the blind review created a bit of chaos. That is exactly what happened to the reference list. I had deleted some sentences and forgot to delete the reference.
I have tried to answer your comments to the best of my ability. Please do excuse me if in places I have not agreed with your remarks. This process is still on-going as I am waiting for my third reviewer’s comments. I will then bring together all the changes. I am sure that will make my paper stronger.

Thanking you,

Swaroop

by Neil Boland -
Dear Swaroop,
Thank you very much for the opportunity to read your paper which I enjoyed reading. The living theory aspect of it comes across clearly. I liked the pedagogy>andragogy>heutagogy progression you have pointed out in your work.

Patchwork is an effective metaphor and you allude at the start to the nature of the different patches. I wonder if it would be possible to signpost these more as the reader moves through your account rather than (or in addition to) placing them all at the beginning.

Most of my comment are regarding editing, which I have marked up in the attached doc. Are the cartoons you use from creative commons or do you need to think about making sure copyright is covered?

I look forward to reading your next iteration and engaging with your work again,

Thank you

Neil
In reply to Neil Boland

by Neil Boland -
In reply to Neil Boland

by Bernie Sullivan -

Hi Swaroop,

I have read the latest iteration of your paper, where you addressed my comments, and it reads very well now. I haven't yet seen the version addressing the comments of the other reviewers but just thought that, in the meantime, I'd send you my thoughts so that you could incorporate them in your next iteration.

There is only one sentence that I thought needed clarification, which might be easily done by breaking it into two sentences.

Sindberg and Lipscomb 2005 is cited in the text but is not included in the References.

There are a number of places where a space between words is omitted. I don't know how this occurred as it wasn't in your original version!

Other than these minor issues, I would be happy to recommend your paper for publication, Swaroop.

Kind regards,

Bernie.

by Bernie Sullivan -

by Swaroop Rawal -

Dear Bernie, Abdul, and Neil,

Thank you very much for all the trouble you have taken to review my paper. It was interesting communicating with you.

I am posting the latest iteration of my article. I have answered most of your questions in the previous replies. In this post, I will explain a few points which are common to all three.

1.      Living Educational Theory (with upper case) refers to a lexical definition of meaning which distinguishes Living Educational Theory research is a unique field of educational research activity.

Living Educational Theory research can be conceptualised as the process that a practitioner researcher engages in to create their own living-educational-theory (with lower case, hyphenated). A living-educational-theory is an educational practitioner's explanation of their educational influence in their own learning, the learning of others and the learning of social formations.

·       Living Educational Theory can be abbreviated to Living Theory; shorthand versions are LET and LT.

·       living-educational-theory can be abbreviated to living-theory; shorthand versions are l-e-t and l-t.

Thus, Living Educational Theory is the research paradigm and living-educational-theory constitutes the individualised descriptions and explanations of the processes that individuals engage in order to improve their practice. Their accounts are a contribution to Living Educational Theory.

2.      A Patchwork Text

I have added this… The first ‘patch’ is the ‘miracle cartoon’; the second is the introduction and explains the idea behind the writing of this paper. The third ‘patch’ is a poem written by me in 2009 about my experiences as a doctoral student. Each section is a ‘patch’ and so is every photograph and video, my students’ and my reflections and so on, make the other patches together with the second-last ‘patch’ which is a forward-looking epilogue.

I would not like to ‘add just one sentence as a signpost for your reader, when you move on to another context’ ... as suggested by you as I believe it goes against the spirit of a Patchwork Text. I would rather delete all references to Patchwork Text if you continue to feel it is not being understood.

However, I have used this style before and published an article using this style (Ukani and Rawal, 2016) additionally, my Ph.D. thesis is also written as a Patchwork Text

In any case in a normal article when one moves from one topic to another the author merely adds a heading, which I have already done. In a normal article/paper one does not really add a line of introduction to each section.

Having said this, if you really feel I am not being understood I am prepared to have a relook at my paper and go in for a rewrite, because at the end of the day I feel you, my first readers are very important to me.

3.      Thanks, Neil, I have corrected the Reference list.

4.      I have permission for the photographs used, and all are referenced.

5.      Sorry about the spacing issue, that happens when the article is posted on the forum. No matter how many times you recheck it continues to happen. But that will be taken care of; I am sure, before the publishing.

I hope I have addressed all your queries.

Thanking you,

Love,

Swaroop

by Bernie Sullivan -

Hi Swaroop,

I have read the latest iteration of your paper and many of the issues have been resolved, e.g. the spacing is now correct. There are just a couple of places where a little more clarity would really help your reader. One of these is in the  new piece you added:  Each section is a ‘patch’ and so is every photograph and video, my students’ and my reflections and so on, make the other patches together with the second-last ‘patch’ which is a forward-looking epilogue. I think that if you split the sentence in two, beginning the second sentence at 'my students' and my reflections...', it would be more intelligible to your readers. The second one is: 

I agree with Neil that signposting the various phases of the Patchwork Text would be of help to your reader, in particular on page 14, where you have the heading 'The Pedagogy-Andragogy-Heutagogy Continuum', as it is  not at all clear how this relates to the previous section or to the Patchwork Text.

The Sindberg and Lipscomb reference needs to be added to the references section.

Other than these few issues, which are mainly for clarification purposes, I think your paper is almost ready, Swaroop.

Kind regards,

Bernie.

by Neil Boland -
Hi Swaroop,

Thank you very much for this latest iteration and for resolving many of the issues raised. I think it reads more smoothly. Once the clarifications Bernie mentions and some editorial details which I have marked up or mentioned in the Reviewer doc are tidied up, I think your paper will be ready for publication.

Many thanks for the opportunity to engage with your work.

Best regards,
Neil