Open reviewing process

What is the educational influence of my engagement with EJOLTS (Educational Journal of Living Theories)?

What is the educational influence of my engagement with EJOLTS (Educational Journal of Living Theories)?

by Máirín Glenn -
Number of replies: 11

Hi reviewers and other EJOLTs colleagues,

Here is my draft paper. I have addressed some of the issues that the blind-reviewers brought to my attention. I think I might have missed out on some commentary that might have disintegrated in transit but if I did, then please just re-send it to me (and apologies to the reviewer).

Otherwise, I'm taking a parachute and jumping - I would really appreciate any comments that would help strengthen and add to the rigour of this this paper.

Warm regards,

Máirín Glenn

In reply to Máirín Glenn

Re: What is the educational influence of my engagement with EJOLTS (Educational Journal of Living Theories)?

by Lesley Wood -
Dear Mairin
I prefer to work on the paper and comment as I read it but I can on ly append one file so I will send it separately. I attach the guidance form here which will make more sense once you see the comments.
Lx
In reply to Máirín Glenn

Re: What is the educational influence of my engagement with EJOLTS (Educational Journal of Living Theories)?

by Liz Wolvaardt -
Dear Mairin - Thank you for the opportunity to read your work. I found the premise intriguing and an example of approaching all academic-related tasks with a scholarly eye. I have read the very useful feedback that Lesley provided and agree with her suggestions to strengthen the submission. Lesley also raised the question of terminology that you will need to resolve for yourself. I have nothing substantive to add to Lesley's guidance (the unintended advantage of being a second reviewer in an open-review process). I attach the summary sheet. Hugs - Liz
In reply to Liz Wolvaardt

by Máirín Glenn -
Dear Lesley and Liz,

Thank you Lesley for your detailed, meticulous and thought-provoking response to my draft. I have been working on it for the last week and feel I have addressed many (hopefully all) of the issues that you have raised.

Apologies, but I had submitted the draft of this paper (as appears above dated 18 March) before receiving your comments. I have now embedded my response to your reviewing comments into my newer version of the paper. However, Marie has advised that we should await commentary from all reviewers before submitting our reviewed versions, so I will hold on to my draft for now.

Liz, thank you for adding to Lesley's comments too.

You both asked about the difference between Living Theory and living theory. Quoting from the draft text of the Editorial Foreword of this forthcoming special edition of EJOLTs might bring a little clarity: ‘Living Educational Theory is the paradigm and living-educational-theory constitutes the individualised descriptions and explanations of the processes individuals engage in in order to improve their practice. Their papers are a contribution to Living Educational Theory’ (Laidlaw & Mellett, in process). Also, the term 'Living Educational Theory' is sometimes shortened to 'Living Theory' (Whitehead, 2018). I hope this helps.

Lesley, you say I have used the term ‘EJOLTs as an experience or an environment which might enhance learning and stimulate people, including myself, to be active agents in our own learning’ 7 times throughout the paper. You are right and I am delighted. I have now increased that to 8 :) The purpose of it is to indicate that on seven different occasions I have sought 'hard' evidence, and found it, to show that I am meeting the standards of judgement that I have established for myself and which show specifically that I am living in the direction of the values I hold. I believe that this is a form of rigour that few, if any, other forms of practitioner research embrace. It is a part of the rigour of Living Theory research that is important to me and it demonstrates its highly rigorous and robust nature. I think it is crucial to state these standards overtly and to show how one can provide evidence that we are meeting these standards them publicly. I am convinced that equating values with standards of judgement that have to be substantiated with evidence is important. It is a process that elevates the research from what might have been a self-serving navel gazing fairytale into a robust piece of research. I have changed the wording in places so as to not sound so repetitious - but I fervently hope the meaning of the words are still there for each of the eight occasions in which I believe I demonstrate the veracity and rigour of my work.

I will address your claim that my paper reads like a victory narrative to the best of my ability. I will work on it. I don't think my intention is ever to present a polished, smooth, fake narrative. My claim in this paper is very hesitant, questioning and incomplete... in fact my way of being is very hesitant, questioning and incomplete!

You also requested more clarity around my values of social justice and you were right. I believe I have articulated them with more clarity in this newer version of the paper.

So many thanks to you both! You have been helpful, supportive and encouraging and I believe my paper will be a stronger, more worthwhile paper as a result.

I'm looking forward to sharing the next draft with you very soon.

Warm regards,
Máirín
In reply to Máirín Glenn

by Jocelyn Demirbag -
Hi Mairin,

I apologize for my delay in responding to your paper as I was traveling (yes, my first time in a year!). I enjoyed reading the paper and resonate with your experience of understanding Living Theory more deeply each time you read an article. There are also some beautifully stated points that you make which I comment on. Agreeing with Lesley and Liz, it's hard to comment anew as the third reviewer. I did wonder how your students were affected by either your articles or others as you reference their learning.

I have gone through the paper and marked areas that are unclear for me. I think they will probably be easy enough to clarify. I do experience unclarity with punctuation while reading your submission, particularly with the use of commas and semi-colons (ex., are you using the Oxford comma or not? When should it be a comma or semi-colon?). There are also a few places were words are repeated, omitted, or awkward and I have highlighted these areas. In summary, I believe that the paper is almost ready for publication but not quite yet.

I am hopeful that I can attach a copy of your paper with my comments and questions; if I have difficulty I will send it to Marie for posting here.

In appreciation of your learning and sharing that experience with us,
Jocelyn
In reply to Jocelyn Demirbag

by Máirín Glenn -
Thank you Jocelyn!

Your reply and your marked-up document have arrived safely. I will now continue to edit my draft and incorporate your suggestions along with Liz and Lesley's previous feedback into my paper. I aim to have a revised (and hopefully stronger) draft in the near future.
Many, many thanks for your detailed feedback. I really appreciate it.

I'm afraid I am a fan of the Oxford comma but I can abstain here if it adds to the clarity of the paper :)

Warm regards,
Máirín
In reply to Máirín Glenn

by Jocelyn Demirbag -
Mairin, glad you find the detail useful. I also love the Oxford comma so I think it just needs to happen consistently throughout the paper. For me the Oxford comma gives clarity. Looking forward to the next iteration.

Aloha,
Jocelyn

by Máirín Glenn -
Dear Joycelyn, Liz and Lesley,

I am now submitting my next draft.

I hope it has improved considerably and is a little more comprehensible now.

I think I might have clarified the expression of my ideas about my values around social justice somewhat and I think I have shown how they link into the standards of judgement I have established for myself. I think I have also shown why it is so important to continuously check that I am trying to meet them (or even succeed in meeting them, on occasion).

Joycelyn, you query my use of the word ‘catastrophically’ here: ‘This is a journey the Editorial Board is currently undertaking but it is an important one because it unearths the hegemony that is pervasive in multinational publishing companies, where knowledge and finance are catastrophically intertwined.’

I think the link between knowledge and finance is actually catastrophic. I have only become really aware of it recently as we attempt to get EJOLTs recognised in the main journal databases. Huge companies monopolise the whole system so that there is now a general conception in academic circles that the only journals worth reading are those with specific metrics and impact factors (not to mention the underpinning ontologies and epistemologies associated with that). A misconception exists that for a journal or paper to be worthwhile, we (or academic institutions) must pay for them. And no, we are not paying the authors, the reviewers or even their institutions, we pay these conglomerates! We have convinced ourselves somehow, that it is a good thing to make research unavailable to the ‘ordinary’ person who might like to read it. Academic quality is evaluated by metrics, not by the thinking, rigour or the potential influence of the research. I was recently asked to pay €2400 to submit a paper to one of these journals because I wanted it to be OA! This was for a paper I wrote myself!

I think this is the stuff of a whole new paper and I would need to be a little less frustrated and exasperated by the whole issue, before I could write coherently about it.

If you like, Joycelyn, I can say ‘knowledge and finance are unfortunately intertwined’, if you think ‘catastrophically’ is a little emotional :) but my heart is really saying ‘catastrophically’.

I believe I have also reined in my sporadic use of Oxford commas. I am still fond of them but not consistently :)

Thank you all again for your incredible support, care and scholarly dialogue with me. Your collective attention to detail is just inspiring!

Warmest regards,

Máirín

In reply to Máirín Glenn

by Jocelyn Demirbag -
Hi Mairin,

Thank you for your work here. I do believe that overall the paper is much clearer for me, and reads more smoothly. I do still think there is a little more work to be done as indicated on the attached document with my comments, and on the guidance form. Most of the comments are around Criterion #9, with a couple places in 3 and 5. I apologize for not being more overt with these comments last time.

I think working with a good, detailed editor would address all of the comments.

Thank you for your persistence in this process!

Aloha,
Jocelyn

by Máirín Glenn -
Dear Jocelyn,

Thank you so much for your detailed comments. I really appreciate it your time and effort in this process.

I will do my best to address these issues in the next draft!

Warm regards,

Máirín