Open reviewing process

Raising Voices Using Dialogue As Research Method in Living Theory Cultures of Inquiry

Raising Voices Using Dialogue As Research Method in Living Theory Cultures of Inquiry

by Jacqueline Delong -
Number of replies: 9

Hello fellow Living Educational Theorists. I am submitting my article for review. I have tried to address the blind reviewer's concerns and appreciate his/her suggestions. I invite anyone to help me to strengthen my article. Thank you in advance.

Love, Jackie

In reply to Jacqueline Delong

Re: Raising Voices Using Dialogue As Research Method in Living Theory Cultures of Inquiry

by Bernie Sullivan -
Hi Jackie,

I have read your paper and think it is a well-written research narrative that will be of interest to a wide range of action researchers. In choosing dialogue as a research topic, you have tapped into an area that resonates with many living theory researchers, self-study researchers and practitioner researchers. In the paper, you achieve all you set out to do, in terms of using dialogue to engage in a culture of inquiry with living theory researchers worldwide. Your passion for this work is evident throughout. The paper is thought-provoking and inspired me to reflect on my own understanding of dialogue.

There are one or two instances where I thought a sentence could be clarified to ensure your meaning would be understood by the reader and I have noted these on the paper, which is attached. Other than that, I think the paper is ready for publication. I will also send the guidelines with my comments.

Kind regards,
Bernie.
In reply to Bernie Sullivan

Re: Raising Voices Using Dialogue As Research Method in Living Theory Cultures of Inquiry

by Bernie Sullivan -
In reply to Bernie Sullivan

by Jacqueline Delong -
Hi, Bernie. Thank you so much for your encouraging words. They make me feel very good. I will address the sentences that you have noted.

Love, Jackie

by Stephen Bigger -
Hi Jackie, Lots of positives about your article and you will have noted my points about Dialogic Self Theory (DLT) that I made earlier. This gets to the heart of your discussion and it was originally a problem to me that it wasn't mentioned in the first draft. I note the addition of one short quotation and the addition of the book I recommended in the References (though this doesn't refer to anything in the text. I am attaching some notes which I hope help. DLT offers ways of strengthening validity arguments for LT research. The notes I am sending include a link to a review on an aspect of DLT which I hope is helpful too. Dialogue is not a straightforward concept. I may send notes later when I get a chance to reread the handbook I recommended. Best wishes and keep safe, S
In reply to Stephen Bigger

by Jacqueline Delong -
Hi, Stephen. I really appreciate your helping me understand DLT. I had a quote from Hermans and Gieser and then in my rush to get it out for review (with a deadline for publication looming), missed inserting it. I am reading that publication again. I have read the explanation on your website and am getting clearer in my understanding. I would like to include a section from your writing in the paper. Again, thanks for your help. Love, Jackie

by Stephen Bigger -
Hi Jackie, I have read your revised article which I have recommended for publication. Of course it 's OK to quote from my comment. Thank you for looking into DLT - it owes a great deal to Bakhtin scholarship and tries to explore what dialogue means in practical and psychological terms. There is one issue I leave with you, quoting from the referee proforma:
There are issues with the reference list (what to do with references within quotations)
Still problematic. If a name-date reference appears in a quotation it is not in the References section e.g. ‘proposed by Jane Roland Martin (1988)' when Martin is not in the References. I suggest that these cases are formatted thus: proposed by Jane Roland Martin [in1988], or the date deleted and replaced by ellipsis (...).
And well done. Have a good Christmas

(Edited by Marie Huxtable - original submission Thursday, 3 December 2020, 3:27 PM)

by Mohamed Moustakim -
Hi Jackie,

I enjoyed reading your paper. It provides a detailed account of how you have used dialogue as a research method to create spaces for your students, colleagues and living theory research collaborators to engage in debates and critical inquiries about educational practices. There is ample evidence in the paper that it applies the principles of Living Educational Theory in its approach to theorising educational practice as it provides detailed descriptions and explanations of the dialogical research approach taken in a range of contexts, with illustrative visual evidence of dialogue with students, colleagues and Living Educational Theory research collaborators.

I would have liked to learn more about your experience of negotiating the ‘obstacles and constraints in dialogue as research method’, particularly when discord impedes attempts to create understanding and empathy in dialogue. I do note however that you prefaced the section on ‘Obstacles and constraints in dialogue as research method’ with the statement: While I do not intend to cover this topic comprehensively, I will address some of the issues that can constrain us: critical feedback, gender and cultural differences. I think that given the scope of the paper, you addressed these very important potential sources of obstacles/constraints in dialogue very well.

I recommend publication of your paper as it is.

Kind regards
Mohamed
In reply to Mohamed Moustakim

by Jacqueline Delong -
Hi, Mohamed. Thank you so much for your very supportive response to my article. I will keep your point in mind about 'obstacles and constraints' when I write again on this topic as I believe, as you do, that there is much more to learn and share.

Love, Jackie