Open reviewing process

A Culture of Reflection: How can I transform the teaching- learning attitude in my school through my living educational theory?

A Culture of Reflection: How can I transform the teaching- learning attitude in my school through my living educational theory?

by Neema Parekh -
Number of replies: 32

I have some iteration according to open review feedback. I hope I could full fill the guideline expectations. Please go through the paper as a series of projects. I have tried to weave my living educational methodology and reflective processes in those projects. Please see my experiential learning through the paper. 

In reply to Neema Parekh

Re: A Culture of Reflection: How can I transform the teaching- learning attitude in my school through my living educational theory?

by Mark Potts -
Thanks so much for making those changes Neema. I found it to be a much more coherent account of your learning journey. It reads much more like a paper suitable for a Journal. There is so much to admire in your narrative and I do hope you can make the necessary corrections to make it more readable and the few enhancements required to substantiate some of your claims. In particular, I would welcome a clearer summary of the outcomes of the research and the changes that were brought about by it in your conclusion. I attach my comments on the paper itself below and will attach my comments on the Guidance Criteria in a separate message. I do hope to see it finally published in EJOLTS.
Best wishes
Mark
In reply to Mark Potts

Re: A Culture of Reflection: How can I transform the teaching- learning attitude in my school through my living educational theory?

by Mark Potts -

Here are my comments against each of the publishing criteria.

Mark 

In reply to Mark Potts

by Neema Parekh -
Dear Mark,
Thank you for your taking the trouble to correct my mistakes and comment on my paper. Your comments have made my paper robust.
I have corrected all the typos, grammatical errors in the paper and I have answered your comments in this paper. I have also attached your papers so you can see where you have commented.
I hope this satisfies your queries.
Regards,
Nima
In reply to Neema Parekh

by Neema Parekh -

Here is the paper with all correction draft 3. I hope that you like it.

In reply to Mark Potts

by Neema Parekh -
Thank you so much. Sure I would try to make it more sharp and readable. Yes, I think there are possibilities for an effective conclusion. I will work on it.
In reply to Mark Potts

by Neema Parekh -
Dear Mark,

Thank you so much for your great help. Your comments have made my thoughts and paper sharper. I have made changes according to your suggestions please go through it. I will attach three files here. The final paper draft 3, paper conclusion, and the response to the reviewer's comments.

Many Thanks with regards,
Neema
In reply to Neema Parekh

Replies to the reviewer's comment

by Neema Parekh -

Dear Mark,

Thank you so much for your great help. Your comments have made my thoughts and paper sharper. I have made changes according to your suggestions please go through it. I will attach three files here. The final paper draft 3, paper conclusion, and the response to the reviewer's comments. 

Neema

In reply to Neema Parekh

Re: Replies to the reviewer's comment

by Mark Potts -
Neema

It has been a pleasure to review your paper. I found it very interesting. Thank you for responding to the comments that I made. I think your conclusion is now much stronger and I am recommending to the editorial board that your paper be published.
Best wishes
Mark
In reply to Neema Parekh

Re: Replies to the reviewer's comment

by Jocelyn Demirbag -
Neema, thank you for all your work sharing your very interesting journey with us. If the paper is gone through again with a fine toothed comb for all of the punctuation, grammar, and formatting, I believe the paper is ready for publishing. I have gone over about half of the paper with such a comb and the editor will share that with you. Please make sure this comb also includes formatting for how to name a table and list its citation, as well as for the references at the end. These are all my least favorite aspects of a paper and yet we still need to address them! Mahalo for all your effort. As it is very difficult to see our own errors while working in a second language (and even in a first), I would highly recommend that you find someone who can help with this as your learning is so worth sharing! Mahalo for your persistence.

Aloha,
Jocelyn
In reply to Neema Parekh

by Bernie Sullivan -

Dear Neema,

I have read the latest iteration of your paper and really liked your research topic of developing a culture of reflection in your school. Your values of love, a democratic learning environment and equality were clearly stated and were evident in your practice throughout the research. The descriptions of your practice and of the challenges you encountered were honest and authentic. You also demonstrated good leadership of learning.

There are a few things that would improve the paper to bring it up to the standard required for publication. 

1. There are a number of places where you need to provide evidence for the claims ypu are making - I have marked these on your paper, which is attached.

2. There is no mention of ethical issues so it is unclear if you have permission from teachers and students to use their photos etc.

3. You need to ensure that you use the correct format for the paper, the proper referencing system and that you keep withn the wordcount - this could be reduced by omitting .the appendices, which are not really needed.

I am also attaching the publication guidance sheet with my comments.

I look forward to receiving your next iteration, Neema.

Kind regards,

Bernie Sullivan.

In reply to Bernie Sullivan

by Bernie Sullivan -

by Neema Parekh -
Thank you so much for your great help and inspiring words. I will work on your suggestions to match the guide line.

by Neema Parekh -
Dear Bernie,
Thank you for your taking the trouble to correct my mistakes and comment on my paper. Your comments have made my paper robust.
I have corrected all the typos, grammatical errors in the paper and I have answered your comments in this paper. I have also attached your papers so you can see where you have commented.
I hope this satisfies your queries.
Regards,
Nima
In reply to Neema Parekh

by Neema Parekh -

This is the final paper with all corrections please go through it.

In reply to Neema Parekh

by Marie Huxtable -
Posted on Behalf of Jocelyn Demibrag (I have removed images because of the size of the file)
Dear Neema,

You have done a wonderful job of revising your paper for clarity and it also reads much smoother--thank you. What I love about this paper are the creative solutions you came up with for teaching both the teachers and the students, as well as the process of your own self reflection. Your paper addresses the very important issues of the purpose of teaching, and what kind of learning is most impactful.

I think that this paper would be stronger if you included a few more examples (shown through a phrase or one sentence) for some of your claims at the beginning. I have marked these areas. I am also left at the end wondering how the students did academically with the new learning methods? Did they perform equally well or better on exams? I know you taught that the more important lessons were life lessons, but if in fact they also performed better academically, that would also be powerful evidence for adopting the kind of methodology you share.

I also think it needs one more edit for form before it can be published. I have added many areas for correcting tense or use of "the" or "a" as well as proper use of a semi-colon, but not all. It's hard to see our own errors so it might be useful to have help in this area.

Congratulations on your achievements with your school, Neema. There is much to feel happy about when one reads this.

Aloha,
Jocelyn
In reply to Marie Huxtable

by Neema Parekh -
Dear Jocelyn and Marie,
Thank you for your kind words and appreciation. yes with your inspiration I will go through the paper again. I will make sure to correct grammatical mistakes. I will post the next iteration soon.
In reply to Neema Parekh

by Neema Parekh -
Dear Jocelyn,

Thank you so much for your great help. Your comments have made my thoughts and paper sharper. I have made changes according to your suggestions please go through it. I have attached two files here. The final paper draft 3 and paper with responses to your comments. Thank you for correcting lots of grammatical mistakes. English is my second language so I found it difficult to express my thoughts clearly in English. 

Neema
In reply to Neema Parekh

by Neema Parekh -
In reply to Neema Parekh

by Neema Parekh -
In reply to Neema Parekh

by Bernie Sullivan -
Dear Neema,

I have read the latest version of your paper and it is much clearer and more scholarly than the previous version. There are just a couple of minor grammatical errors that I have marked on the paper, which I am attaching. Also, have a look at the formatting requirements, in relation to headings and spacing between paragraphs.

There are just two comments I want to make in relation to the content.

1. I now understand what you mean in the following sentence:
'Reflective practices inspired me to negate the contradictions I had experienced in my practice (Whitehead, 2009), which were confined to my classroom boundaries.'
The paragraph in which it appears is a bit repetitive of the previous paragraph, which caused my confusion. You might take a look to see if you can clarify it.
2. The point I was making about the sentence ‘I believe reflective practice has the power to transform teachers into learners’ is that I believe teachers can transform themselves into learners through reflective practice - but that is my opinion and you are entitled to your view on this!

So I am happy to recommend publication of your paper, when you attend to the few minor grammatical errors, and look forward to seeing it in print!

Kind regards,
Bernie.

by Bernie Sullivan -
Neema, I have been reflecting on the first point I made in my last feedback to you and trying to understand why I had difficulty with this sentence. I now realise that the paragraph containing this sentence is a continuation/explanation of the preceding paragraph, and so it now makes sense to me. I wonder if you could combine the two paragraphs, which would help to ensure clarity for other readers?

Kind regards,
Bernie.

by Neema Parekh -
Thank you so much dear Bernie. I will definitely go through your comments and recheck the paper. I am happy that now the paper is more clearer and scholarly than before. Thank you so much for your review and a great help. I will post my revised draft soon.

by Neema Parekh -
Dear Bernie,

Thank you so much for your great help. Your comments have made my thoughts and paper sharper. I have made changes according to your suggestions please go through it. I have attached two files here. The final paper draft 3 and the paper in which I have answered your comments in draft 2. Yes, I have gone through the punctuation mistakes and grammatical errors. i hope now there is no more mistakes.

Neema
In reply to Neema Parekh

by Mark Potts -
Hi Neema
Thanks for your response to my comments on the last draft. I do feel that it is very close to being ready for publication now. There are just two areas in the main body of the paper that I would like you to look at again. I have highlighted them in the response to your comments attached below.
In addition, I have some queries regarding your conclusion and I attach those separately for you to consider.
Best wishes
Mark
In reply to Neema Parekh

by Mark Potts -
Conclusion comments attached
Mark P
In reply to Mark Potts

by Bernie Sullivan -
Hi Neema,

I have read the latest version of your paper and am impressed at the quality of the paper and the clarity of ideas that you have achieved since the first iteration. You have addressed the two issues that i raised in my previous feedback, and have also attended to the minor grammatical errors that I outlined. I am, therefore, advising the Editorial Board that the publishing criteria have been met. I am attaching my comments on the criteria.

Kind regards,
Bernie.

by Neema Parekh -
Dear,
Bernie

Thank you very much from bottom of my heart for taking great trouble to make this paper readable. You have helped me a lot to make this paper more sharp, clear, and applicable. I have learned a lot from you in this review process. Yes, your appropriate questions helped me to clear my thoughts and ideas. Big thanks for the grammatical corrections. It is so sweet of you to recommend this paper to the Editorial Board with very positive comments. Thanks a ton with loads of love.

Neema