Open reviewing process

Improving ESL teaching and learning through the living educational theory methodology at the university level

Improving ESL teaching and learning through the living educational theory methodology at the university level

by Abdul Hameed Panhwar -
Number of replies: 17

Dear Reviewers

I am sharing my paper for your constructive review/feedback on it.

I an associate professor of English at a university in Pakistan. I did my doctorate from Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge UK in 2016.

Thank you

Abdul Hameed Panhwar

In reply to Abdul Hameed Panhwar

Re: Improving ESL teaching and learning through the living educational theory methodology at the university level

by Caitriona McDonagh -
Dear Abdul,
I was impressed by the research in your paper and how you explained it so clearly. I look forward to reading its final iteration in EJoLTS
Below are my suggestions for its enhancement. They are based on my understanding of how a reader might understand your research.
1. I enjoyed your creative approach to highlighting the “Reconnaissance” activities involved such as critical thinking, literature, research design and situational analysis. Reconnaissance is important since you mention it in 5 of the 10 sections and it is often glossed over in taught action research programmes. You might highlight this more strongly in your abstract and throughout
2. Your value of “Equality” struck me very strongly throughout this paper. I believe I counted it at least 8 times It appeared to me that it is the overarching value in your research and the key criteria or standard by which your research can be judged, possible in the following way.
o You state “everyone has equal right and opportunity to participate in the decision making” and offer it as your ontological and pedagogical value when deciding on your research topic and rational for your research.
o You name it as a factor in your research design when you say “the participants should all be equally involved in discussion”
o You use it in your claim of “increased equal participation and interaction”
o You have your claim to have created a more equitable pedagogy validated by a participant when you quote “Thus, cooperative learning provided equal opportunities to all students for participation which is not possible in a conventional teaching style;” and “it gave equal opportunities to every student”
3. The final sections on “Discussion and Conclusions“ could be strengthened. I suggest that you focus on your claims about the influence of your research on your own learning, the learning of others and for your context and beyond. A final section on the future potential of your research might encourage readers to engage with your work in their practice contexts. As this section is not about justifying your research methods perhaps paragraphs could begin with your claim or findings and then relate these to the literatures you have cited
4. More signposts for readers would be helpful such as link sentences and introductions to sections

Below are my comments on the publishing criteria. I have also attached a copy of your paper where I have made editorial suggestions in green throughout the text and I have added comments with content suggestions.

I respect that you are the expert on your research and you alone can decide on whether these suggestions are useful or not.

Looking forward to your next iteration,

Caitriona
Publishing criteria. The paper: Notes to help focus author on what needs addressing.
1. is of a high academic and scholarly quality. It provides a well-reasoned argument and demonstrates that you have creatively and critically engaged with your own thinking and the thinking of others
A valuable piece of research.
It is of a high academic and scholarly quality and engaged with your own thinking and the thinking of others as well as the literature.
2. clearly includes the distinguishing qualities of a Living Educational Theory methodology and/or the contribution it makes to the field of Living Theory research
In the introductory sections the distinguishing qualities of a Living Educational Theory methodology are clear, but it could be more explicit in exploring the influence of the research in the learning of the author, participant and of social formations.
3. includes a clearly written description and explanation of the context(s), purposes, processes and outcomes of the research
A clearly written description and explanation of the context(s), purposes, processes and outcomes of the research
4. can be understood by practitioners from diverse fields of practice, research and cultural contexts as well as experienced Living Educational Theory researchers
Achieved
5. has all claims supported by appropriate evidence
Needs further attention (see email)
6. communicates clearly how knowledge claims are validated
Needs further attention (see email)
7. provides sufficient details of the normative background of your research
Achieved
8. is at least 5,000 and no more than 12,000 words long in total (including references and appendixes)
Achieved
9. is written in English of a standard appropriate for an international academic journal, has been thoroughly checked to ensure that English spelling and grammar has been used throughout, and all references are correct in both the text and references list.
Some references in the text are not in the reference list.
This paper needs to be checked and it still needs editorial attention - some of which I have suggested.
10. conforms to the format guidelines.
Abstract could be tightened up

In reply to Caitriona McDonagh

Re: Improving ESL teaching and learning through the living educational theory methodology at the university level

Hi

Thank you so much for your feedback. I have started addressing your comments. Could you please clarify what actually you mean by 'tightening up' the abstract?

Thanks
Abdul

by Caitriona McDonagh -
When I said "tightening up" I meant that there was some repetition in the abstract which could have been removed. It also seemed more descriptive than invitational.

My personal feeling is that an abstract is a short invitation to readers to read your paper and its unique contribution to new knowledge. It summarises the whole project briefly.

I wanted to read about what you found out about improving "one’s own academic practices and also student engagement with ESL learning activities" in your unique setting. Your initial analysis challenged current teaching practices and "came to the conclusion that only with use of cooperative learning, we can enhance student engagement in my situation". A possible example of what I meant might be in the sentence "I implemented cooperative learning and found it effective." Could you add why this was so - so unusual, so unique. A second example might be a reference to how your research challenges current literature and practices and how your research approach enabled you to offer potential solutions to the dilemmas they raise.

You have all the necessary information in your abstract and I am only suggesting re-ordering of your key ideas to show the reader the uniqueness of your work.

I hope this makes sense. I am happy to try to clarify further if you wish.
Caitriona

Dear Caitriona McDonagh

Your comments were very useful. I have tried to address them. I am attaching the revised version of the paper for your review.

Abdul Hameed

by Arianna Briganti -

Dear Abdul,

thank you so much for sharing your interesting paper.

I was exicited to read about the Pakistani context of teaching. You walked me thorugh your stuggle and that of your students which I find very powerful.

I wished the paper highlighted your identity as a teacher more, as well as your values, explanatory principles and on-going learning and educational development. In a nutshell your living -theory which differs from Living Educational Theory as a methodology. I did not grasp what living standards of judgment you use to judge the validity of your contribution to knowledge while engaing your students with i.e the process of liberation from traditional methods.

In the attachement you'll find my comments on your text in line with EJOLTs publishing criteria.

I hope this helps and look forward to your next iteration.

All the best

Arianna 

In reply to Arianna Briganti

Dear Arianna

Thanks for your useful Feedback. I am attaching the revised version of the paper after addressing the changes suggested.

Abdul Hameed

by Arianna Briganti -
Dear Abdul,

so nice to read your latest iteration and thank you for having considered some of my suggestions.
Overall, the paper reads as a well-structured piece of writing, in which your passion for teaching emerges strongly and so does the commitment towards the emancipation and realisation of your students. Therefore I recommend it for publication.

However, I agree with Brian that the article needs proofreading, which will certainly improve the flow. I understand the struggle as English is my third language and I don't find it always easy to navigate its complex structure.
Please also make sure that you are referencing correctly and respect puntuation (i.e end each reference with full stop)

I wish you all the best Abdul and look forward to seeing your paper published.

Arianna
In reply to Arianna Briganti

Dear Arianna

Thank you so much. Cheers.

Abdul

by Brian Jennings -
Dear Abdul,

I'm Dr Brian Jennings, a lecturer at Ghana Christian University in Accra, Ghana. All of my students use English as their second language for study and business so I'm aware of the challenges that English poses for second language speakers. I'm very impressed by your use of collaborative learning methods for developing your student's capability in English - some methods I would like to explore in my own teaching. I also find that these are excellent means to demonstrate your living concerns for student autonomy and participative learning in which all learners are active and find themselves affirmed.

I find your research is thorough and rigorous. I find that your Living Educational Theory is well expressed and demonstrated throughout the paper. However, a final paragraph in which you give a summary overview of your theory and its demonstration in your research would be helpful. Even so, there are some key areas for improvement. In some places you struggle with English idiom resulting in some awkward phrases and paragraphs. I have indicated some places in your text where I have encountered these and made some suggestions for improvements. I would recommend that for your next iteration (which hopefully will be the last) that you have a good ESL colleague with a fresh set of eyes to do a thorough proof-reading to pick up any other issues. I find that it sometimes very hard to proof read you own work and I find that my friends are able to pick up my abundant errors more easily than myself!
Having said all this, do be encouraged. This is an excellent piece of work that just needs some final corrections.

Other comments are in the text below.

All best,
Brian
In reply to Brian Jennings

by Caitriona McDonagh -
Dear Abdul,
Well done on the revision of your paper.

It certainly shows how your “values flow with a life-affirming energy and are expressed in the relational dynamics of educational relationships’ (Whitehead, 2008, p. 112).

I am attaching my comments on your paper. There seems to be some confusing over numbering in sections 5 and 6.

I am attaching your paper with some further comments which I hope you can take on board.
While I feel that your paper now meets the required criteria, you also need to check your references.

Copy editing needs more work before publication.

Thanks for all your work
Caitriona

Hi Caitriona McDonagh

Thanks a lot for your insight and comments on the paper. Also, I feel indebted and thankful for your encouragement.

Kind regards
Abdul

Thank you so much Brian for your constructive feedback and encouraging words. Stay blessed!

Kind regards
Abdul

Dear Brian Jennings and Caitriona McDonagh

Thanks for your insight-provoking feedback. I went through your comments improving where suggested by you. I am attaching the revised version of my paper here for your further guidance.

Kind regards

Abdul

by Caitriona McDonagh -
Dear Abdul,
Thank you again for the work on your paper. You have taken my suggestions on board
and I am attacking it again for your information

I am advising the Editorial Board that all publishing criteria have been met.
Well done,
Caitriona

Dear Caitriona McDonagh

Thank you so much. Cheers.

Abdul

by Brian Jennings -
Dear Abdul,

I've reviewed your latest draft and I'm satisfied, that with a few minor corrections, that your paper is ready for publication. I post commented text below.

All best,
Brian

Thank you so much Brian. Cheers.