Open reviewing process

Evolving my Educational Influence in Learning: Collaborative Communities of Practice, Relationally-dynamic Constellations of Values and Praxis

Evolving my Educational Influence in Learning: Collaborative Communities of Practice, Relationally-dynamic Constellations of Values and Praxis

by Peter Mellett -
Number of replies: 18

I have attached a pdf version 9 of this paper for review through the EJOLTS collaborative review process. I shall attach a Word file to a subsequent message. This text is the result of the June issue being a paper short a few weeks ago; consequently, having been written from scratch, it is somewhat eclectic in nature. I have now reached the point where I have been inside it for such a time that I have started to lose my perspective of its contents. Therefore, with time pressing, I am asking you to formulate responses to your reading that are as directive as possible. I will not know how to respond to general broad-brush observations.  I need to know where you feel that the developmental thread becomes unclear; where the text wanders off-course; where there are specific omissions; where there is text that is superfluous to the main theme(s). Please forgive this foreword: I am not attempting to direct your individual distinctive analyses of the text but am simply asking for responses from you that I can readily action.

Best wishes

Pete

In reply to Peter Mellett

Re: Evolving my Educational Influence in Learning: Collaborative Communities of Practice, Relationally-dynamic Constellations of Values and Praxis

by Peter Mellett -

Re: Evolving my Educational Influence in Learning: Collaborative Communities of Practice, Relationally-dynamic Constellations of Values and Praxis

by Peter Mellett -
Many thanks to Joy for her comments added to the MS Word document and to Caitriona for her comments added to the pdf version. As noted before, I have found both to be thoughtful and thorough and an excellent guide to the changes that I have made.

I began the process of revision by considering each of Joy’s comments in turn, amending the MS Word text received from her with ‘Track Changes’ switched on, so that the nature of the changes may be seen. I then attended to Catriona’s comments by going through the amended Word document again. It was interesting to note where some of the latter's comments coincided with some of the former's, where there were completely independent insights and where there was an occasional complete non-congruence.

I have attached the resulting Version 10 to this post and shall post a non-track-changes pdf version to a subsequent post (the EJOLTS review space being limited to one attachment per post).

You two may wish to wait until the my third reviewer has posted comments - or press on immediately with reading through this current version (10) to see if it goes same way to meeting your comments overall. Whichever you choose, I am now going for a snooze under a sunshade in the garden!

Best wishes

Pete

by David Wright -
Dear Peter,
I feel enriched through the opportunity to read and comment on your submission. Through this paper I can appreciate the development in your learning and your action as an educator, an activist and a parent. There is a powerful emotional impulse behind meaningful learning and the powerful emotional impulse behind your learning manifests in your love for your learning, and the community that provides context for it, and your love for your son, which at the end of this paper is palpable. This is my second reading and my second opportunity to comment on the work and this additional familiarity and any amendments you have made, have made the paper more accessible to me. Previously I was concerned about the context - what my learning would refer to as 'the ecology' - of your learning. Assertions of value or virtue without context are questionable. My learning also connects with your around your understanding of self organisation, autpoiesis and pattern thinking (which I would prefer to call systems thinking). The discovery of patterns is a powerful base for a systemic analysis. I am attaching a copy of your paper with track change comments etc. . There are places where I feel clarity is required. One thing you will see is I comment on your discussion of constellations. My intention is to foreground the relationships that facilitate the emergence of constellations. Perhaps the issue here is one of clarity rather than substance. There are other comments also. I hope they are helpful to you. Now... I just need to figure out how to attach these documents. It's getting late and I need to sleep.
In reply to David Wright

by Marie Huxtable -

Additional attachment (guidance doc) posted on behalf of David Wright

In reply to Marie Huxtable

by Peter Mellett -
I have added amendments based on David's comments to version 10 (which itself is the version responding to Joy and Catriona's comments). The resulting Version 10a is attached to this post. As usual, I shall attach a Word document to a follow-up post.

Best wishes to all

Pete

by Peter Mellett -

by David Wright -
I have looked at Peter’s revised version this afternoon. I feel he has considered and generally addressed questions I had. I am happy for the paper to be published and feel no need to make further comments. I can’t speak for the other reviewers but my concerns have been dealt with,
Regards, David.

by Joy Mounter -
Hello Pete,

Thank you for the revised paper, I have enjoyed seeing a little of it's evolution and an insight into your research past and present. For me personally the paper is much clearer and I can see the threads running through, inter-twinning and creating a picture to support the development of the Living Manual. I have no hesitation in recommending the paper for publication.

Best wishes, Joy x

by Caitriona McDonagh -
Dear Peter
Apologies for the fact that you only got my responses as PDFs. Well done on this new iteration. It is almost there. There are two aspects I wish to draw attention to before recommending it for publication. I am attaching my guidance sheet and will send in a separate reply my comments on the paper.
The Abstract is much more readable now and would encourage me to look forward to your paper. Overall, I am happy that you have taken account of suggestions I made.
understand the point the Joy made about “Influence on and in learning” and “The question ‘How do I improve my practice?’ within a living-educational-theory research enquiry has frequently come to be interpreted as requiring self-study alone. To address criterion 4, it may be beneficial to expand on this part of the paper – perhaps only a sentence or two - as an explanation of developments within the understanding of the paradigm overtime.
Your inclusion of David’s questions and the imagery in your response enhance your paper. You also mention the Open Review Process (p. 3) and your learning as a ‘reader’. Might this benefit from rethinking or rephrasing it as ‘reader author and researching learning from “that basic hermeneutic problem” as you put it?
Another minor question: could you please check Mellet references 2019a?
Now I am going to through another curved ball your way. Might you consider changing the order of sections to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and leave 6 as a discussion and a significant development from your evolving learning which leads you to your conclusion. Just a thought. You are the expert in your research, so you will make the call.
I am really looking forward to the paper being published (it is almost there) and being able to cite it. Keep up the great writing and work especially with the Living Manual.
All the best
Caitriona

by Caitriona McDonagh -
Peter I am attaching the few comments I made on your paper
In reply to Caitriona McDonagh

by Peter Mellett -
Dear All
There must be a telepathic link between us. Having been away from this paper for a few days while you digested version 10.a, I returned to it yesterday for a relatively fresh read. I immediately got lost and resolved to reflow the contents to give the reader a better ride through my 'stream of consciousness' style of writing. The result is attached, which I think meets the requirement stated and also goes some way to meeting Catriona's final comments.
As usual, I shall attach a Word file to this posting and a pdf to a subsequent one. I have stripped out all the 'Track Changes' comments because they had become such a tangled web as to offer little or no daylight on what has been done.
Best wishes
Pete

by Caitriona McDonagh -
Dear Peter,
It was a pleasure to read about a common interest we have — ‘collaborative communities of practice as the [an] arena within which Living Theory research takes place’. Overall your paper offers a very useful explication of Living Theory which is clear and detailed and would benefit any living theory researcher, so I look forward to seeing it published.

Although I recognise the wealth of your experience and expertise in both research and writing, there are a few things we might usefully discuss.
Initially I found your title challenging: Evolving my Educational Influence in Learning: Collaborative Communities of Practice, Relationally-dynamic Constellations of Values and Praxis. Your understanding of “my Educational Influence in Learning” became clear in the Forward. It surprised me on the first few readings of your paper that “collaborative learning communities” are only beginning to be addressed from Section 7 (p.13) onwards and “relationally-dynamic” from p.15 and “praxis” from p.12. I was expecting the themes of the subtitle to flow in order through that paper, however, the road map in Section 2 was very helpful to me, as a reader, in working my way through your “evolving” influence.
Another thing I was wondering about was while you state that "Living Theory research is distinguishable by the form of logic, epistemology, explanations, standards of judgement and units of appraisal", you seem to omit the logic in this paper although you cover all the other traits.
Similarly, in figures 1 and 3 the 'practice section' is blank. This appears to be a loss as I initially found it hard to understand what actions were involved in the research and the validation processes. There are many sites of practice mentioned as well as an expansive list of writing, research, and new learning from that research captured in the early part of the paper.
A final query that struck me was that some may query the following sentence "I am acting in a moral and ethical manner, where morals define my personal character and ethics are concerned with the social system in which those morals are applied".

I am not sure if you think it may be worth addressing these as you are the expert in your evolving educational influence. I am also attaching the guidance sheet to the end of your paper with some comments which are mostly of a copy editing nature.

Looking forward to your response
Caitriona

by Peter Mellett -
Many thanks to both for your thoughtful and detailed responses. I shall work on the points you raise over the coming week. - Pete

Re: Evolving my Educational Influence in Learning: Collaborative Communities of Practice, Relationally-dynamic Constellations of Values and Praxis - Joy's review

by Marie Huxtable -

Posted on behalf of Joy (because IT gremlins having fun her end)

Hello Pete,

It was really nice to read this paper after your previous one with Jerome. I have gone through it and added some tracked comments for you to consider, but it is just my perspective. My comments are quite detailed, I hope that is alright!

I found the paper quite hard reading in places. My confusion started with the title, which you will see in my tracked comment. For me the Living Manual is at the heart of this journey and brought your writing to life and brought meaning for me. This could be included as more of a focus in the title. I also needed this section on the Living Manual nearer the beginning to give context and meaning to the rest of the article, in places I struggled with your meaning. Then as the research narrative unfolds and the elements of LET, values, community evolve, I can make sense from the Living Manual. I also found in places the threads seemed to jump and I couldn't always follow the relevance.

Your video clip is really powerful and an integral part of my connection to your writing.

I really hope the comments are useful and not too much!
Best wishes, Joy x

by Peter Mellett -

by Caitriona McDonagh -
Dear Peter,
Here is my response to your version 11.

Your restructuring has brought much greater clarity to your paper
Because you have bracketed the “signpost“ titles in the Introduction, I was not sure if you intend to delete them.
If you intend to retain them, could I suggest that the first title might be Introduction and after the paragraph ending with Ernest Boyer (1990, 2016) and Donald Schön (1995), you might add, “In this introduction I will signpost the journey of my cumulative development as a living-educational-theory researcher and my understanding of evolving educational influences in learning”. Then just use your headings without the signpost numbers.
In addition I think that the final heading in the Introduction might need a further sentence indicating how “my evolving educatonal influecnes in learning can be seen in my contribution in the creation of the Living Manual within a collaborative community. Do the headings in the Introduction match the text?

Overall, it was well worth the extra effort and I am glad that you took it on so speedily.
I will now look at v12 as sent by the editor today.

Hope you and yours are heeping safe,
Fingers crossed,
Caitriona

by Caitriona McDonagh -
Peter,
I think you have now addressed all the criteria. Thanks for all the effort you put in. As I said before , there are seminal ideas explained very well in this paper and I look forward to reading it in the journal.

I have read v12 and compared it with v11. I would like you to consider having a look at my comments on both of those versions (v12 attached here) before leaving this paper.

Reviewing this paper has had an evolving influence on me.

I have no hesitation in recommending the paper for publication.
Thanks and keep safe in these unusual times
Caitriona