Open reviewing process

Co-convening the Network of Educational Action Research Ireland (NEARI)

Co-convening the Network of Educational Action Research Ireland (NEARI)

by Máirín Glenn -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

I'd like to share my paper Co-convening the Network of Educational Action Research Ireland (NEARI) with you for open review.

Regards,

Máirín Glenn

In reply to Máirín Glenn

Re: Co-convening the Network of Educational Action Research Ireland (NEARI)

by Pip Bruce Ferguson -
Hi Máirín

I was delighted to be asked to review your paper after it completed the double-blind process. It was a trip down memory lane as I was present when the network first kicked off. For me, anyway, the paper has a clear 'ring of truth' in terms of description of processes used in NEARI.

I have done the usual pedantic Pip thing of track changing and inserting few comments. There are a couple of very minor typos and a suggestion or two that you can action or discard as you prefer. (I don't see a 'submit file' link here any more so perhaps EJOLTS' process has changed. Happy to pass the track changes on to you via the Editor, along with my completed reviewer form, in due course).

I looked up the entry I contributed to the eari.ie blog prior to our meeting, where I reflected on the NZ Action Research Network and the ideas that seemed to me to support and work against the effectiveness of that. Two, the 'free access' and the 'movable meets' (although we called them conferences) have continued in NEARI and I feel materially assist the success of the network. If your aim in this paper is partly to assist others who may wish to establish such networks, then a link (without cluttering up the paper) to that blog article may be something you could consider. So might be acknowledgement of the role of Jack Whitehead in linking us up. I felt bereft when first in Ireland that I couldn't find other action researchers and overjoyed at discovering you four! Our ongoing connection and the establishment of the Network are ongoing sources of gratitude for me when I reflect on my time there.

I was also happy to see your comments in the latter part of the paper about cautions or worries you had/have about the work. Up until then it had been largely a 'good news story' which is great, but the critical reader always looks for any disconfirming evidence, or at least evidence that such may have been searched for even if not found.

I am happy to recommend publication of the paper once the other reviewers are also satisfied with the work and commend you and the Network on developing and maintaining processes that so obviously support the work of both beginning and experienced teachers, practitioners and action researchers in Ireland.

Warm regards

Pip

(Edited by Marie Huxtable - original submission Saturday, 14 March 2020, 3:15 AM)

In reply to Pip Bruce Ferguson

by Marie Huxtable -
In reply to Máirín Glenn

by Stephen Bigger -
Hi Máirín, Hope you are safe, and everyone, keep safe. I am a bit neurotic about things at the mo because if I am ill with it, my wife has no one to look after her, which doesn't bear contemplating. However all is well so far.
To the paper, it is an interesting read about important networking, much as described in the 2017 book which I have. I start here with Bernie's point of transformation, linked with the creation of new knowledge. My question for this paper is how can transformation be defined, and by whom; and how can new knowledge be securely founded. This links in my mind with the themes of social justice and inclusion. With our current politics (and I mean UK and USA here) social justice has no real place with the hard right and those of us who demand it as demeaned as virtue signallers. Never before has social justice become problematic, rejected by enough people to vote the uncaring into power. Social justice includes discussion of the causes of poverty, the massive gap between rich and poor, south and north, first world and third world. As reader I would like clarity on how definitions are explored and acted upon within learning communities, and how strong views on both sides can come together. I remember as adult educator the strong resistance to race awareness, and in NI you will have your own experiences and challenges over the years. So I am taking this opportunity to invite you as writers to reflect on whether these points can help you refine and deepen your text. It is within the context that this paper will, I am sure, with tweaks suggested by each of us, be ready for publication
In reply to Stephen Bigger

by Máirín Glenn -
Dear Pip, David and Stephen,

Thank you all for your coherent, critical and constructive comments. I believe that they have made my paper stronger and I hope I have responded adequately to them in my latest iteration of the paper. 

I am deeply aware of the huge changes our world has undergone since I began to write this paper. I (along with many others) have developed a new awareness of the fragility of 'normal' life, as outlined so poignantly by Stephen, in his feedback above. 

At a more mundane level, our NEARIMeets have always drawn on the energy of the informal chat and the atmosphere generated by people chatting to one another, at each meeting. Now our meetings cannot take place and we are experimenting with an online version - and all the trepidation that might go with that. 'Normal' life at NEARI is gone - for now. I'm hoping that our new learning, in a new online world, will be as much for the flourishing of humanity as I believe it was in our old world.

Meanwhile, I wish you and your loved ones good health and resilience.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this version of my paper.

Warmest regards,
Máirín
In reply to Máirín Glenn

by Pip Bruce Ferguson -
Hi Máirín

As with the first iteration, I really enjoyed reading this second draft. I think you have done a good job of incorporating responses or changes going on from reviewer feedback and agree with you, it is a stronger paper as a result.

I was happy to accept it for publication in the first instance and remain of that opinion. As I read it, I thought of work I am currently doing on research development with a group of tertiary educators of early childhood students. I know papers at this stage in the open reviewing process are available to anyone in the world, and would like to use this iteration (don’t have time to wait for publication) to prompt reflection in my group on the importance of clarifying and articulating one’s values as one writes. I also think the reflections you give on how NEARI works would be of great value to them as some of them strive to mentor both students, and their associate teachers in ECE centres. Would you be happy for me to use it thus?

I do think this is one of the great strengths of EJOLTS, its open reviewing process. This enables new researchers to see what kinds of feedback they might expect - and more, to see how a respectful exchange of views on a paper might result in stronger work, rather than such views being seen as an attack on the writer. I wish more journals adopted this approach. And then, of course, there is the wide diversity of areas and topics that people write about in EJOLTS. I have already passed on to my researchers, Hatice Zeynep Inan’s paper about her work in ECE teacher development.

I look forward to the paper being available in the EJOLTS Journal in due course, and send my love and prayers to you and the NEARI convenors and attendees. I hope to join in virtually in the next meet, albeit by video.

Pip
In reply to Máirín Glenn

by Marie Huxtable -

Posted on behalf of David Wright (who is having technical problems)

I attach the report sheet in response to Mairin’s paper. You will see at the bottom of the sheet I mention some further work. I do this with hesitation because the work is accomplished and improved considerably following the various rounds of feedback. It engaged me and challenged me to locate this experience in relation to my own, and in doing so to recognise its value. I hope my feedback is helpful to Mairin. The issues I raise could be attended to very quickly.

In reply to Máirín Glenn

by Marie Huxtable -
Posted on behalf of Stephen Bigger

I have been through Mairin's paper today and enjoyed it. In my view it meets all requirements for publication and will be an asset to the journal.
Stephen