Open reviewing process

Cultures of inquiry: a transformative method of creating living-theories

Cultures of inquiry: a transformative method of creating living-theories

by Michelle Vaughan -
Number of replies: 7

Hello everyone, I am attaching a draft of the manuscript Jackie Delong and I have been working on for your consideration. We look forward to hearing your thoughts, thank you in advance for the time taken to read and review.

Michelle Vaughan

In reply to Michelle Vaughan

Re: Cultures of inquiry: a transformative method of creating living-theories

by Lesley Wood -

Thanks for this article which I think is suitable for publication. However, I have made some suggestions but there are merely suggestions that you might want to consider, I am not as experienced in this form of writing as you are, so I defer to your expertise.

by Neil Boland -
Dear Michelle and Jacqueline,
Thank you for your article which I have enjoyed reading. I also think that it can be published as it is, but, like Lesley, have a few suggestions which may make it more accessible to the reader. See attached file.
Thank you again for your work,
All the best
Neil

by Máirín Glenn -
Dear Michelle and Jackie,

Thank you for submitting a thought-provoking, enlightening and uplifting paper. You have tried to capture your ideas around ‘cultures of inquiry’ as a transformative method of creating you living theory, in words, on paper and supported by video clips – which is a huge challenge. Despite the enormity of your task, I think you have succeeded well in your endeavour!

I am impressed by the reflexive nature of your work. You have reflected on and discussed the reflections you have made in the course of your prior teaching experiences and your presentation at ARNA. You are also showing your educational influence in your own learning and the learning of others as you generate your living theory in the process of articulating your experiences for us to read.

I love the positive energy emanating from the written words and from the video clips.

A thought that I have though, and one which may be better positioned in a future paper and have little place in this paper, has to do with criticality and critical reflection. I wonder are there moments in either of your stories, or your overall interpretation of your collective story, where you experienced any difficulties, doubts or problems? I know Michelle talks about being tentative in one of the video clips, but I think some of the ideas would benefit from a little more problematising, querying and digging deep.

I believe that your paper, with a few little tweaks, is nearly ready for submission to the EJOLTs editorial board. It meets the criteria outlined in terms of (i) being of high academic and scholarly quality; (ii) including distinguishing qualities of a Living Educational Theory research methodology and (iii) making a contribution to the field of Living Educational Theory research. I am attaching my suggested tweaks here, but needless to say, you may accept them or reject them as you see fit.

It has been a pleasure to read your paper – well done!

Warm regards to you both,

Máirín
In reply to Máirín Glenn

by Michelle Vaughan -
Thank you to all three reviewers for taking the time to read our work and provide thoughtful feedback and reflection. We have integrated your comments and suggestions into our latest version and are attaching it here for you. Thank you again for your collaboration and ideas!
Michelle & Jackie

by Neil Boland -
Thanks very much for this amended file. I think it reads better for the changes you have made to it and recommend it for publication.
[a tiny editing thing - I don't think you need periods after a question mark - happens a couple of times]

Many thanks for your giving me the opportunity to engage with and learn about your work.

Neil
In reply to Neil Boland

by Máirín Glenn -

Thank you for editing your paper. I think it is a stronger and more robust piece of work now. I am gladly recommending it for publication and I hope all who read will learn as much from it as I did.

Warm regards,
Máirín