Open reviewing process

How can I live my life as a living-global-citizen? From action research to political activism.

How can I live my life as a living-global-citizen? From action research to political activism.

by Mark Potts -
Number of replies: 13

Please find below a link to my paper based on the title above. I look forward to engaging in the review process.

Mark Potts

https://ejolts.org/pluginfile.php/35/mod_forum/post/2243/My%20Journey%20as%20a%20Living%20Global%20Citizen%20from%20Action%20Research%20to%20Activis1.docx

In reply to Mark Potts

Re: How can I live my life as a living-global-citizen? From action research to political activism.

by Bernie Sullivan -
Dear Mark,

I have read with interest your paper, 'How can i live my life as a living-global-citizen? From action research to political activism'. I thoroughly enjoyed the paper and feel that you have made a seamless transition from action researcher to political activist. The paper is well-structured and written in accessible language. The values base of the project is apparent and there is evidence of the development of a living educational theory.
There are a few instances where clarifying concepts would add greater comprehensibility to the paper. For example, in the introduction, it would be good to explain why you mention the coauthored book - did this lead to your current research topic? also, it would be good to name your values early on in the paper, and to foreground issues that will be discussed later, e.g. deliberative democracy.
I have marked up a few of these issues on the paper, Mark, which I will attach.

I hope you find this feedback helpful and i look forward to your next draft.

Regards,
Bernie Sullivan.
In reply to Bernie Sullivan

Re: How can I live my life as a living-global-citizen? From action research to political activism.

by Mark Potts -
Thanks for the helpful comments Bernie. I will, as you suggest, clarify some of the concepts that I refer to in the paper and re-post the paper for your consideration.
Mark P
In reply to Mark Potts

by Pip Bruce Ferguson -
Hi Mark

I have read your paper with interest. Brexit looks to be dragging interminably onward so, from a reviewer at the bottom of the globe, it is interesting to read how concerned English citizens are responding to the crisis. I applaud your attempts to engage actively with the process and attempt to encourage deliberative democracy.

As is my wont when reviewing papers, I have track changed comments into the attached. I have also, as requested by the editor, attached the rubric so you can see at a glance where I think you may need to do more work. [Update: seems to accept only one file so I will lodge a second comment with the rubric]. Of course, your choice to do so or not, bearing in mind the weight of all reviewers' feedback.

It seems to me that there are some quite significant claims made, for which I cannot yet see sufficient evidence to convince me of their validity. The evidence may be there but not yet strong enough, or you may be aware of actual case studies where success has been demonstrated. You also need to mention how you address the ethics of inclusion of video of the democracy cafe. Did participants know they were being videoed, and have they given approval for the video to be published?

I look forward to the next iteration of the paper, by which stage perhaps the Brexit situation may be resolved (I am ever the optimist!)

Kind regards

Pip
In reply to Pip Bruce Ferguson

by Mark Potts -
Thanks also to Pip and Mohamed for helping me to improve my paper.
Pip - I will take a close look at the rubric that you have attached and will try to strengthen the evidence base for my claims. I will also address the ethics of the inclusion of the video. It looks like BREXIT will have to wait but my re-draft will precede it.
Mohamed - Likewise, you suggest the inclusion of further evidence to support my claim that I am influencing others. This I will seek to provide. Your suggestion of a reflective piece indicating how my work on deliberative democracy is helping me to overcome the contradiction that I was experiencing between my values and my practice is a helpful one that I shall also include in my next draft.
Best wishes
Mark P
In reply to Mark Potts

by Mohamed Moustakim -
Dear Mark,

I enjoyed reading your paper Mark. Your critical narrative account provides descriptions and explanations for your journey, from an action researcher to a politically engaged activist, highlighting the transformative potential of living global citizenship education through the democracy Café you initiated and the Citizens’ Assembly you are in the process of developing in Salisbury. These initiatives are timely given unprecedented political crises, caused by Brexit in the UK, and a general lurch to divisive and increasingly isolationist far-right-inspired rhetoric in global politics, worryingly in nations previously considered bastions of freedom and democracy.

Your ideas and arguments are expressed clearly and are supported with reference to relevant literature, and while the youtube video clip to some extent supports the claim you made in relation to the developing Citizens’ Assembly initiative, more evidence for the influence of the democracy café on others could strengthen the article. For example, it is clear from your explanations that Brexit in particular has led you to experience yourself as a ‘living contradiction’ as a result of the dissonance between your values and what appears to be a dominant logic among those who support Brexit. You might like to reflect on how the deliberative democracy you engaged in with others may have helped you work towards achieving greater congruence between your values and your practice. How might you respond to arguments that the referendum results were the culmination of a democratic process? What dilemmas and contradictions do such arguments / questions pose for deliberative democracy?

I look forward to your response to the above suggestions Mark.

Kind regards
Mohamed Moustakim
In reply to Mark Potts

by Mark Potts -
I attach my re-drafted paper in response to reviewers feedback.
I hope that I have addressed the concerns expressed and made the improvements suggested.
I have endeavoured to clarify the meaning of some of the terms used and the purpose of some of the organisations referred to. I have drawn on more sources of evidence to support the claims that I make as regards influencing my own learning, the learning of others and the social formations in which we operate. Furthermore, it was useful to reflect on how my involvement in the process of deliberative democracy has led to greater congruence between my values and my practice. I have also included reference to the permissions gained for the use of video and participants' accounts. I hope that I have also addressed the issue of consistency in the referencing.
The one issue referred to in the feedback that I could not resolve was the resolution of Brexit. That I could not achieve.
I hope you enjoy this second version and I look forward to your comments.
Mark Potts
In reply to Mark Potts

by Bernie Sullivan -
Hi Mark,

I enjoyed the second iteration of your paper and you have clarified the concepts that I felt had not been sufficiently clear in the first version. There are just a few editing bits that I have marked in your paper, and that are easily rectified, There is one issue in relation to consistency in referencing that you might attend to, and it is in giving page numbers. You have used a few different methods, e.g. P8, P.7, p.78, P. 1, p. 576, Pp5-6. so maybe choose one and use it throughout.

I am advising that the Editorial Board accept this paper for publication as it meets all the points covered by the rubric, which I am also attaching.

Regards,
Bernie.
In reply to Mark Potts

by Pip Bruce Ferguson -
Hi Mark

Like Bernie, I very much enjoyed the second iteration of the paper and am recommending it for publication.

I have advised the editor of a couple of very minor proofreading points rather than attaching a track changed version again.

The rubric is attached below. All the best for the ongoing work (and fingers crossed for a second, less contentious and divisive, referendum!)

Kind regards

Pip
In reply to Mark Potts

by Mohamed Moustakim -
Dear Mark,

Thank you for addressing and clarifying the questions raised in the feedback. Like Bernie and Pip, I have enjoyed reading the updated version of your paper and I am advising that the Editorial Board accept it for publication as it meets all the criteria in the rubric (attached).
Kind regards
Mohamed
In reply to Mark Potts

by Mark Potts -
Thank you all for your quick response to my second iteration of the paper and for the positive comments made. I have now completed the few editing suggestions made and submit a third version. It has been a great pleasure working with you all.
Best wishes
Mark Potts