Published papers

Dialogic relationships in living cultures of inquiry for the creations of living-theories Published June 19

Dialogic relationships in living cultures of inquiry for the creations of living-theories Published June 19

by Jacqueline Delong -
Number of replies: 19

Hi, everyone. Please find attached my article for review. It has been such an enjoyable journey for me that I hope that you enjoy it as well. I look forward to your suggestions for strengthening the article.

Love, Jackie

(Edited by Marie Huxtable - original submission Saturday, 30 March 2019, 8:00 PM)

In reply to Jacqueline Delong

Re: Dialogic relationships in living cultures of inquiry for the creations of living-theories

by Brian Williamson -
Hi Jackie,

I am pleased to be a member of your review team and am looking forward to sharing ideas and learning from your work. Please give me a few days to read and collect my thoughts.

Love

Brian

In reply to Brian Williamson

Re: Dialogic relationships in living cultures of inquiry for the creations of living-theories

by Brian Williamson -

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for sharing.

I understand the distinction you make between education researchers and educational researchers - and appreciate the need to make this distinction and I value your scholarship. The section heading in your paper tell their own story.

I feel a warmth associated with the phrase ‘love them into learning’ and since starting work as a lecturer in statistics in 2016 here at the University of Bolton, England, have run LET workshops for multi-disciplinary staff and doctoral students- to spread the word so I feel that my experience different to, but maybe  just a few steps behind yours.

I am curious about the learning relationship you have with Michelle and this is one of the reasons I wanted to know more about your paper. My first question is ‘to how great an extent is your work in line with Amy Dyke and Sonia Hutchison’s paper ‘Our Understanding of Mutuality When Reflecting on our Values and Experience of Caring’ (published in EJOLT December 2017) and others on co-authored lets. Is it relevant for both of you to ask the question ‘what are our (Michelle and Jackie’s) shared values and how did we come to them? For example, Amy and Sonia, in analysing their claims found areas of mutuality which they had not predicted which they then analysed further to understand their relational dynamics, witnessing the emergence of a living-theory of mutuality. I have heard you discuss ‘collaboration’ with Michelle, and I see Michelle creating her own let, not your let, so was it more like an interaction than a collaboration? I like to visualize learning - so to help me how would this look? If someone’s let is a planet then what is happening? Are the planets colliding, is one just a moon (created from the other) or is there a sun-satellite relationship?

My second question is about the ‘living curriculum and it is linked the question one. Part of Michelle’s let now is a living energy that supports a desire to pursue a negotiated curriculum model (for example, Boomer, 2005) and you say you are sharing this value. I am interested to know more about stages of this dialogic educational journey if it is possible to look inside it and break it down?

Your paper has helped me see the Bolton LET workshops in a different light, so thanks for sharing your work and I look forward to reading your reply.

Love

Brian

by Jacqueline Delong -

Hi, Brian. Thank you for your supportive response to my article. I will try to address your concerns.

While Michelle was aware that I was writing the article and, indeed, gave me solid feedback on it once it was written, it was as you say, "more like an interaction than a collaboration." She has also written an article for this same issue of EJOLTS in which she creates her own living theory with my support. Our plan going forward is to present our two research experiences and move to some explicitly collaborative writing after our presentations at the Action Research Network of the Americas conference in Montreal in June. That writing will, I expect, have some similarities with Amy and Sonia's work.

When you ask, "I am interested to know more about stages of this dialogic educational journey if it is possible to look inside it and break it down?", I am uncertain as to what part of the article is not clear as to our journey. It was a relatively short time period from June 2018 to March 2019 and mostly we met via Zoom.  It may be that that analysis will come out of our next writing. Can you give me more clarification on this issue?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Love, Jackie

by Jocelyn Demirbag -

Jacque, this is a lovely, warm, and inspiring paper—thank you.  It validates what so many of us know and experience in our practice, and in our writing.  The reality of love as part of the learning experience for a student is a basic tenet of Waldorf/Steiner education.  And you show us that this is not just for children, but the power of love in learning exists for all human beings.  Glorious!

Somehow I do not think that the abstract prepared me for the paper. Perhaps including some of the more powerful concepts from the paper into the abstract could help the two correspond more closely (I have highlighted a couple of them in yellow).  I also felt a bit mislead by the mentioning of epistemicide because although it is mentioned as something that came up in the workshop, it does not seem to be a part of your work. I could be expecting more from this mentioning because “epistemicide” is something I have wrestled with in my own thinking.  Perhaps I just wanted to hear more. At any rate, I am unsure how it serves your LET.

I also think that the videos were a wonderful addition to this paper.  Your and Michelle’s faces radiate joy, and it is beautiful to see.

I feel this paper is acceptable and ready for publication. Thank you.

Aloha, Jocelyn

In reply to Jocelyn Demirbag

by Jacqueline Delong -

Hi, Jocelyn. Thank you so much for your suggestions for improvement. I have made amendments based on them. You helped me clarify some of the writing and caused me to rewrite, and improve, the abstract by “including some of the more powerful concepts from the paper into the abstract.” See what you think:

In this article, I explore my educational relationships and probe into how it is that I encourage

and support others so that they experience being loved into learning. I examine 

my experiences facilitating Living Theory research in Masters cohorts, presenting at conferences and writing EJOLTs articles as I contribute to a legacy for transforming social change.

The ontological importance of dialogue in relationships informs this approach to educational 

conversations as a research method. I describe and explain an educational journey shared by a 

university teacher, Michelle Vaughan, and myself (Jacqueline Delong), a Living Theory educational 

consultant, over a ten-month period. After meeting at an ALARA workshop in June, 2018, our 

relationship developed in virtual meetings through Zoom technology, recorded and shared through 

YouTube. The nature of our influence can be seen through the videos and emails, embodied in a 

form of inquiry that focuses on dialogue. 

The research demonstrates my continuing commitment to building respectful, democratic and 

caring relationships within a living culture of inquiry and my ongoing, loving encouragement and 

support of practitioner-researchers as I love them into learning. These are my living standards of judgment. The nature of my educational influence, (upon myself, upon others and upon social formations), resides in the creation of living theories in living cultures of inquiry. It is embodied in my dialogic way of being and highlights dialogic research combined with digital data as a form of representation.

With this study I intend to make public a valid account of living-theory research to contribute to the 

development of an educational knowledge base. A Living Theory movement is growing where 

individuals like Michelle share their embodied knowledge and commit themselves to influencing 

others to join us in improving ourselves and the world that we inhabit for the flourishing of humanity. 

My claims to know have been strengthened significantly through the thoughtful consideration of 

my Validation Group and the EJOLTs reviewers. 

I am unsure what to do with your response about ‘epistemicide’. I have written an article on the topic (Delong, J. (2017). Respecting and Legitimating the Embodied Knowledge of Practitioners in Contexts of Power Struggles Educational Journal of Living Theories, 10(1): 43-71 http://ejolts.net/node/298).  I don't want the article to be about it and yet, I am reluctant to remove it entirely. I'm not sure that it adds to the paper but somehow I want this reminder in there about what many practitioners face in their research, including my colleague, Liz Campbell. Her PhD is about love and joy and is also about how universities make lives hell. It can be found at http://www.actionresearch.net/living/campbellphd/campbellphd2018.pdf 

Let me know what you think.

Love, Jackie

by Jocelyn Demirbag -

Jackie, I like this version of the abstract much more--it now seems to match your paper more in tone and in concept.  I hope you like it more as well.  I look forward to looking at the entire paper again.

Aloha,

Jocelyn

by Jocelyn Demirbag -

Jackie, I have read your final paper and like how you have incorporated the reviewers' suggestions and questions. Thank you.  My only correction now it about my name--I use all three parts: Jocelyn Romero Demirbag and in the paper who have only two of them.

Your paper is clearer, and even warmer, and is stronger for having gone through the reviewing process. 

I find it ready for publication as it stands now.

Aloha,

Jocelyn

by Jacqueline Delong -

Hi, Jocelyn. I do think that the abstract is more reflective of the article and that the article has been strengthened with the help of the reviewers - thank you for the advice. I have changed your name to the three parts.

Love, Jackie

by Mohamed Moustakim -

Hi Jackie, I have enjoyed reading your paper.  It provides powerful descriptions and explanations for the transformative influence you have had on your learning, the learning of others and the wider network of communities you have helped create. The visual data you provided captures the dialogical educational journey you have shared with Michelle Vaughan and fully supports the claims you have made in accounting for the mutual influence you have had on each other’s living educational transformations.

I would have liked to see more description of your concern about marginalised knowledges in dominant institutional epistemologies that you referred to in the introduction. Epistemicide can be manifested in the curriculum, for example, which is not always a neutral description of the world.  It is selected by people in positions of power as legitimate knowledge.  It reproduces dominance and subordination in society.  The inclusion / omission of certain types of knowledge in the curriculum reflects power differentials between groups in society. 

I think there is evidence of your influence on the ‘education of social formation’ (Whitehead, 2009) and this is evident in what you describe as a ‘responsive and living curriculum’, which emerged from your evolving educational relationship with Michele Vaughan. 

I have enjoyed reading your paper and I have learnt so much from it.  I think it is ready for publication.

Thank you.

Mohamed

In reply to Mohamed Moustakim

by Jacqueline Delong -

Hi, Mohamed. Thank you for you supportive comments on the article. you and the other reviewers seem to want more on epistemicide. 

I agree with you completely: 

I would have liked to see more description of your concern about marginalised knowledges in dominant institutional epistemologies that you referred to in the introduction. Epistemicide can be manifested in the curriculum, for example, which is not always a neutral description of the world.  It is selected by people in positions of power as legitimate knowledge.  It reproduces dominance and subordination in society.  The inclusion / omission of certain types of knowledge in the curriculum reflects power differentials between groups in society. 

Having said that, I am giving the best response I have:

I am unsure what to do with your response about ‘epistemicide’. I have written an article on the topic (Delong, J. (2017). Respecting and Legitimating the Embodied Knowledge of Practitioners in Contexts of Power Struggles Educational Journal of Living Theories, 10(1): 43-71 http://ejolts.net/node/298).  I don't want the article to be about it and yet, I am reluctant to remove it entirely. I'm not sure that it adds to the paper but somehow I want this reminder in there about what many practitioners face in their research, including my colleague, Liz Campbell. Her PhD is about love and joy and is also about how universities make lives hell. It can be found at http://www.actionresearch.net/living/campbellphd/campbellphd2018.pdf 

What do you think?

Love, Jackie

by Jacqueline Delong -

by Mohamed Moustakim -

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for your reply and for providing justifications for the importance of flagging up the marginalising effects of 'epistemicide' on practitioner knowledge in academia, yet understandably, given the specific focus of your paper on dialogic relationships in living cultures of inquiry for the creation of living-theories, you did not want to elaborate on it at this time.  You have also provided sign posts to other work where you have dealt with the topic comprehensively.

I am satisfied that you have answered my question and I recommend that your paper is ready for final publication.

Thanks again Jackie, I have really enjoyed reading about the exciting work and research you do.

Best wishes

Mohamed

In reply to Mohamed Moustakim

by Jacqueline Delong -
Hi, Mohamed. Thank you for your supportive response. I do think that I will come back to 'epistemicide' in future writing.

Love, Jackie

by Brian Williamson -

Hi Jackie,

Apologies for the delay. I have reread your article and have learnt more.

The focus of the article is dialogical relationships for the creation of living-theories, but do you think it would benefit the reader if the topics: epistemicide, burnout, living curriculum etc. were mentioned in the abstract? Doing this would provide the reader a guide to the dialogical journey you made.

The use of the phrase 'epistemology of universities' was unclear to me, as my view of a university is as a set of autonomous free-thinking individuals! But- I know that is wishful thinking! Do you mean the epistemology of some policy makers in universities?

Also, OFSTED's role is to inspect schools in the UK, the National Curriculum is published by the Department for Education.

These are my only questions/comments and I hope they are of use. I 'recommend accept for publication' and wish you all the very best with your further explorations.

Love

Brian

by Jacqueline Delong -

Hi, Brian. I hope that you had a good holiday. Thank you for again spending time on my article. 

I have amended the abstract as you suggested. The reference that I made to curriculum was from "Curriculum Matters: Ofsted’s research on the curriculum.

I think that I do mean the "dominant epistemology of Universities" that favours particular forms of knowledge and rejects others such as practitioner and indigenous knowledges - I have lived it as have my students. It gets my blood boilng when I think about it! Another day; another article!

Thanks again for your attention to detail and for recommending publication. 

Love, Jackie