Open reviewing process

e-poster: A narrative of an educator and an extraordinary theory

Swaroop Rawal
e-poster: A narrative of an educator and an extraordinary theory
by Swaroop Rawal - Friday, 2 November 2018, 9:38 AM

Dear Mark, Neil and Liz,
Thank you for agreeing to review my academic e-poster. To be truthful this is the first I have created. It was really exciting for me to share some of my thoughts through this poster, as both the living theory and the works and values of Gandhiji are close to..... my living...my heart ...my practice....They have 'made me' as I continue to evolve....
Lots of love,
Swaroop
In the following post I have attached a word document of the written material so as to make it easy for you to comment.
The Abstract
 narrative of an educator and an extraordinary theory
Swaroop Rawal

My search for a way to sustainable development, human rights, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence and global citizenship pointed me to the works of a guru and an interesting educational theory. The transformative qualities of both his work and the educational theory enabled a process of perspective change, and a shifting of worldview for me. The educational influence of this actor does not abide by conventional theoretical tenet. The artist I am discussing here is M.K.Gandhi. He was an Indian lawyer, politician, social reformer, and writer who became the leader of the nationalist movement against the British rule of India. Yet, I identify him as an artiste because of the creative way he approached education. All his life was spent in creatively building his life’s work following his values and in transforming others after his high ideals. Children, education, justice, equality, equity, upliftment of the oppressed was his raison d'être.
The extraordinary theory that binds his work and my educational values is the living-educational-theory. A living-theory is grounded in an investigation and research of trying to answer the question ‘How do I improve what I am doing?’ Even though the artiste-educators I am writing about had not known the living-theory methodology, I, yet, make a claim that he followed it intrinsically and made a substantial and original contribution to educational knowledge.  

Key words: Living Theory, Gandhiji

Swaroop Rawal
Re: e-poster: A narrative of an educator and an extraordinary theory
by Swaroop Rawal - Friday, 2 November 2018, 9:40 AM

Hello Mark, Liz and Neil,

This post has the wrd document of only the written matter.

Love, Swaroop

Picture of Liz Wolvaardt
by Liz Wolvaardt - Wednesday, 7 November 2018, 7:43 AM

Dear Swaroop, How nice to meet you in this virtual space! 

I think my general sense of the poster will echo what Neil has already said.  It is you that we are truly interested in and although Gandhi is an inspiration to you (I too feel more inspired after reading your poster), we are really interested in how this inspiration has supported you in addressing challenges to your values, in what ways does his teaching emerge in your practice? etc.  

I felt that some of this was in the video but then in the poster the 'you,' or from your standpoint the 'I,' disappears. Perhaps also consider adding a photo of yourself and or your context to the poster as well as adding more text detail (see comments in rubric).  I have attached the rubric so you will hopefully find some useful points in it.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions or clarification!

Hugs,

Liz

Picture of Neil Boland
by Neil Boland - Sunday, 4 November 2018, 11:17 AM

Dear Swaroop,

I am pleased I can be part of your review team and am looking forward to getting to know you and your work better. I have not reviewed a poster-video format before and hope the suggestions I make are worthwhile and to the point.

I have watched your video a few times and read your poster. Thank you. I am left with a single main impression which is that I don't see as much as I would like to of 'you' in your poster. As reader, I would like to find out about what your values are, how they came to be, how you try to live them, the challenges this brings up and how you work with these challenges to be able to live your values better. Given the tight word count which the poster imposes on you, can you rethink this? It will likely mean that you have to cut back considerably on some of the material you have included to concentrate on how your values manifest themselves in your work.

I am attaching the poster PDF with a few comments marked in which I hope will be helpful. I will upload another file in a moment separately.

Thank you again for this opportunity to work with you. If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to ask.

Neil

Picture of Neil Boland
by Neil Boland - Sunday, 4 November 2018, 11:19 AM

And the second file. I used the rubric to indicate some areas which I thought you could expand on to inform readers more of your work.

Picture of Neil Boland
by Neil Boland - Wednesday, 7 November 2018, 11:19 AM

A quick thought which has just occurred to me. For the reader, I think it would be helpful if there was less text - that somehow you say more with fewer words. I think that in a project like this, every sentence, if not every word, has to count. I've been looking around for word counts of effective posters, and some just have 300 words; the highest word count was 600. I realise that this is an additional challenge for you, but it may be helpful to remove sentences which aren't weight carrying.

Neil

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Thursday, 22 November 2018, 11:14 AM

Dear Mark, Neil and Liz,

Thank you for your comments, they helped me sharpen my poster.

I have made a huge number of changes including...

1. I have edited the word count to 800 words ( see NYU poster suggestion). Keeping in mind alllllll your comments I could not shorten it any further!

2. I am waiting for permission to use his photos and that is why the acknowledgement is empty. I will get it in the meanwhile maybe you can have a look at the poster again.

3. I also have photos clicked by a friend ie his statutes soooo in case I don't get permission I will use those. They are beautiful too.

Thank a lot 

Love, Swaroop

A narrative of an educator and an extraordinary theory
Swaroop Rawal

As India celebrates the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi or Gandhiji, I would like to share his message of simple living, human rights, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence and connect it to an extraordinary theory. The transformative qualities of both his work and the educational theory have been inspirational for me.
The educational influence of Gandhiji does not abide by conventional theoretical tenet. He was an Indian lawyer, politician, social reformer, and writer who became the leader of the nationalist movement against the British rule of India. All his life was spent in creatively building his life’s work following his values and in transforming others after his high ideals. Children, education, justice, equality, equity, upliftment of the oppressed was his raison d'être.
The extraordinary theory that binds his work and my educational values is the living-educational-theory. A living-theory is grounded in an investigation and research of trying to answer the question ‘How do I improve what I am doing?’ Even though Gandhiji had not known the living-theory methodology, I, yet, make a claim that he followed it intrinsically and made a substantial and original contribution to educational knowledge.  

Picture of Liz Wolvaardt
by Liz Wolvaardt - Monday, 26 November 2018, 6:13 AM

Dear Swaroop,  I see you have really taken everyone's comments into account and your latest version of the poster does share more of you than the first version.

I recommend this poster for publication (but do not forget to add that acknowledgement that you are waiting for!).

Hugs,

Liz

Picture of Mark Potts
by Mark Potts - Tuesday, 27 November 2018, 2:23 PM

Swaroop

Thank you for re-presenting your poster. I can see that you have addressed the issues raised after the first iteration and I think that it is considerably stronger as a result. There are some simple edits required:

"In this poster I want to illustrate the story of an educators and an interesting theory. The educator I am discussing here are Mohandas"

Should it be?

In this poster I want to illustrate the story of an educator and an interesting theory. The educator I am discussing here is Mohandas.

Also, "In my life skills education through drama class it would be contrary to my values to take any actions" Add "be".

Other than these minor edits and the acknowledgements I am of the view that it is ready for publication.

Best wishes

Mark P

Picture of Mark Potts
by Mark Potts - Wednesday, 7 November 2018, 10:51 AM

Hi Swaroop

Thank you for being brave enough to present your living theory narrative in this new way for EJOLTS. You have inspired me to consider doing my own poster. I found your poster attractively laid out and easy to read. I like the use of images to break up the text and the links to further readings.

I found the narrative that you are pursuing here very interesting. I am interested in what you say in your abstract was: "a process of perspective change, and a shifting of worldview for me".

Whilst I found the poster, abstract and video very enlightening, I make these suggestions for improvement of layout and content in the context of wanting to communicate meaning even more clearly.  

Layout

In terms of the layout of the poster I feel that the headings do not draw the attention of the reader to the content. Rather than "Introduction", something more informative as a heading to draw the reader in to the content. The "Link" is also somewhat vague - what is the link between?

Also, I feel that the separation of the Link in two different columns does not work visually. Perhaps the poster could be re-organised so that this section is briefer and either in one column, or in a separate box with the pictures used to break up the text. For example the images of Ghandi wearing the loin cloth could be in that section, perhaps with a relevant quote on the image linking it to the narrative.

I like the images and feel that they could be more closely integrated in to the text by placing them in the appropriate sections. For example the images of Ghandi wearing the loin cloth could be in that section, perhaps with a relevant quote on the image linking it to the narrative.

Content

In the section "The Link" you use an example of contradictory actions in teaching which could be put in the context of Ghandi's work/experience.

The methodology of  living educational theory is stated and I am wondering if this could be linked in some way with Ghandi's action/experience. I think I am suggesting more explicit links between the theory and Ghandi's work, that you make the argument that Ghandi's actions demonstrate him living out his values more explicit. For example, which values does his wearing of the loin cloth demonstrate? In what ways did his actions match the living theory methodology as outlined?

Finally, Swaroop I return to the statement in your abstract about his work and living theory changing your perspective and your world view. I would like to see more evidence of that in the poster. How has the work of Ghandi influenced the way that you perceive the world and how you live out your values?

I do hope these comments are helpful in enhancing your narrative and communicating the values that you are seeking to live out.  

Best wishes

Mark