Open reviewing process

How do I improve my practice of training midwives and nurses in the use of Q-Pulse?

Picture of Judith McBride
Re: How do I improve my practice of training midwives and nurses in the use of Q-Pulse?
by Judith McBride - Sunday, 25 November 2018, 10:28 PM

Dear Anne,

In reading the new draft of your account, I recognize your living-theory as embodied, evolving, and manifest in your practice. Your account has a strong ring-of-truth to it as you trace the living of your claimed values of listening and participation in your practice. It is a pleasure to read!

I believe that the work that you have recently done to structure your paper, explain your complex hospital context along with your perspective as caregiver/trainer/inquirer, is accessible and a welcome invitation to your reader. The evidence you have provided with the photo, audio- and video-data does more than simply provide support for the claims that you make. You have put a human face and voice on the work done by nurses, midwives, managers, and trainers, one that welcomes the reader into your practice and fosters deepening respect for those working in the field of health care. The audio file of the focus group brings the voices of urgency, passion, commitment and determination directly to your audience. I thoroughly enjoyed eavesdropping on the meeting. Some readers might find the file too long (I did not) and you might want to consider using smaller cuts throughout the paper as evidence of various points rather than all at one time.

When responding to your first draft, I questioned whether gender might be an issue in your study. I am assuming that your managers, nurses, and midwives are women, based on the audio-visual evidence that you have provided in your second draft. If I am correct in that assumption, I believe that the issue of gender ought to at least be mentioned. I feel that you have a contribution to make to the literature on gender and IT use. Your work has provided an opportunity for your participants to voice their concerns, share ideas, develop confidence in their abilities. Your research questions are important. Your values-based explanation of your educational influence is clear, and that influence could be extended to others beyond your particular context. It would be useful in other domains! Perhaps this could be something you would consider looking at in the future. This article may be of interest:

Goswami, A., & Dutta, S. (2016). Gender Differences in Technology Usage: A Literature Review. Open Journal of Business and Management, 4, pp. 51-59. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290475791_Gender_Differences_in_Technology_Usage-A_Literature_Review [accessed Nov 25 2018].

Anne, your paper touches my inquirer and mother Selves. Thank you for that. I shall happily recommend your paper to the Editorial Board to consider for publication in EJOLTs. 

Judy

Picture of Anne Jaisy Jesudason
Re: How do I improve my practice of training midwives and nurses in the use of Q-Pulse?
by Anne Jaisy Jesudason - Thursday, 31 January 2019, 3:40 PM

Dear Robyn, Máirín and Judith

Thanks for your valuable time and your comments. I have made the amendments and edited the video to shorter audio files.

Kind Regards

Anne

Robyn Pound
by Robyn Pound - Monday, 4 February 2019, 5:23 PM

Anne, 

I am so impressed by your adaptability in responding to the critiques.  I believe this is another sign of your openness and respect for the other.  I find your report is an impressive and believable account of you making an important difference in your own learning, in that of your pupils and especially in the organisation.  This is a great account for all that.  I am so delighted to see a Living Theory  research project in health care and even more impressed that it is in on-line technology in health care.  

I have made comments through the paper, all minor, many small grammatical or spelling adjustments.  It is attached below. One area for future study might be looking at the times when you can't live the values you have identified.  At the moment it seems you might blame yourself but I think that if you looked at these instances when this happens, you might find there is a more pressing value overriding 'openness' or putting pressure on 'respect'?  You could find more interesting aspects to your personality and approach to your work.  I really liked the way you interlinked the values in the studying  of Q-Pulse and the actual midwifery work.

I am pleased to recommend your paper to the Editorial Board to consider for publication in EJOLTs. 

Regards,

Robyn

Picture of Judith McBride
by Judith McBride - Tuesday, 5 February 2019, 12:48 AM

Dear Anne,

I was delighted to see the latest version of your submission.

In re/reading it I think I found a small point that needs clarification: I am not sure about the levels of interest and reluctance and preference in the following…

Midwives of the older generation are less interested in using computers in the workplace. Studies have identified that females are less reluctant to use technology, which could be a factor, as midwives and nurses working in our hospital are all females (Goswami  and Dutta, 2016). Many midwives and nurses prefer a hard copy of the policies, guidelines and protocols.

I would add that I miss the visuals that accompanied the digital data. They brought me into your inquiry space. Perhaps a still shot with the hyperlink could be inserted? 

Other than that, I would like to say that has been a pleasure to read your evolving report. I find your work intriguing on both a personal and professional level. Your dedication is clear and to be admired, and I happily recommend this article for publication in EJOLTS.

I look forward to seeing the online version, to the next steps in your inquiry, and perhaps, to further conversation.

Judy

Picture of Máirín Glenn
by Máirín Glenn - Wednesday, 6 February 2019, 7:51 AM

Dear Anne,

Thank you for your recent revision of your paper.

Well done on the work you have done to show your reader how you are engaging in living educational theory in terms of living in the direction of your values. It is now much clearer.

I think that there is now sufficient detail for a reader to understand your value-based explanation for your educational influence in your own learning, the learning of others and indeed, in the learning of the social formations where you work.

I think though that you should do a thorough check for syntax, spelling and grammar as you prepare for publication.

I have no doubt but that the digital e-learning programme that you have designed will be of great benefit to fellow professionals and that it will help to encourage good practice in your hospital.

I recommend your paper to the Editorial Board to consider for publication in EJOLTs. 

Warm regards,

Máirín