Published papers

Values and Voice: An intricate braid of teaching and learning, knowers and known - accepted for publication 010418

Picture of Eleanor Lohr
Re: Values and Voice: An intricate braid of teaching and learning, knowers and known
by Eleanor Lohr - Monday, 29 May 2017, 2:02 PM

Dear Judy, Norma and fellow inquirers,

I so appreciate your commitment to each other, and to the loving processes that bind you together.  I believe that it creates many possibilities for both personal and professional development, and that it would be wonderful if others could benefit in this way by being part of such an Inquiry Group.

Norma described the group's almost ineffable relational experience by saying, 'we remain linked by our writing' indicating that the written narrative affirms the experience. However the writing does not yet explain how the experience becomes the educational practice. 

If you asked the questions, 'Why do we want to share this experience outside this group?' and 'What makes us think that joining a Narrative Inquiry group like ours would be a valuable methodology for other teachers?' this might help to provide explanations that would make a successful case for grant funding.  It might also begin the conversation about how this methodology could be described as 'living educational research'.

wishing you well, Eleanor

Picture of Judith McBride
Re: Values and Voice: An intricate braid of teaching and learning, knowers and known
by Judith McBride - Monday, 19 February 2018, 2:37 PM

Dear Moira, Eleanor, and Robyn,

Our revised draft is being posted here today. It has been a long time since we first posted for various reasons, most of them personal, but some delay resulted from the need for time to coordinate people, E-mails, and meeting times, locations; the time needed to understand the open review process; the time needed to think, read, share; the time needed to understand what we needed to say differently or better, and how.

It must be said that all of our voices are not represented equally, however we have remained true to our values of utterance and consensus. That is, no voice is more influential than any other.

We have considered the suggestions made by each of you and have chosen to address those that, we believe, clarify and strengthen our purpose.

We thank you for your earlier input, and, we hope, your continued interest.

The Narrative Inquiry Group, via Judy

2018-02-17

Picture of Moira Laidlaw
by Moira Laidlaw - Monday, 19 February 2018, 5:45 PM

Hello everyone. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your article in its amended form. I appreciate the translations in the appendices. Your work is a delight from beginning to end. I love the way the voices interweave and become part of the whole and back again. I love the way your (collective and individual) writings show their uniqueness through language, character, presentation and evocation (visual, linguistic and spiritual). I think what really 'gets to me where I live' is the aesthetic beauty of your article. It moves me as metaphor in poetry moves me, or a canvas by Delaroche, or a piece of Bach. It reaches into spirit and shows me what it is like to have love braided into every aspect. For me it has been an educational experience simply to read it. I have never read anything quite like it and it is, in my opinion, a most original contribution to Living Theory.

Thank you.

A small point. The paper as it stands is not in the required format, which I realise may be quite difficult given the braiding and organisation of some of the text.

Apart from the format, for me, this paper qualifies unreservedly as most suitable for publication in EJOLTS.

Warmest regards,

Moira

by Judith McBride - Monday, 19 February 2018, 6:27 PM

Dear Moira,

Thank you for your prompt and supportive reply to the draft. 

I will get to work on the format right away. 

I have forwarded your comments to the others in the group, and I am sure they will agree with me when I say how gratifying it is to know that we have managed to communicate clearly and convincingly our shared concerns, frustrations, creativity, determination and love. Your response is a beautiful validation.

Thank you.

Judy, for the Narrative Inquiry Group.

by Judith McBride - Wednesday, 21 February 2018, 3:50 PM

Following the review comments from Moira, the paper has been reformatted and posted again. Thank you for your guidance, Moira.

Picture of Moira Laidlaw
by Moira Laidlaw - Wednesday, 21 February 2018, 6:22 PM

Hi Judith and everyone. Thanks for reposting your paper in the format. There is some more that needs to be done though, so that it fits EJOLTS' house-style. See  http://ejolts.net/files/Submission_Guidelines.pdf and at: http://ejolts.net/submission in the Paper Template document.

The main ones I noticed were the need for Calibri font for the main text and Arial only for Headings and Title.

I think the names of writers will need to be written on the LH side of the title-page if this is feasible to fit them there. Alternatively you might want to give the writers' names as a footnote on the first page and have the name of your group as you have it currently.

Don't worry about the spacings and physical layout on the page, as that will be taken care of after the full acceptance for publication.

I know this is tedious, Judi, sorry, but straightening out the details of presentation help considerably with the pre-publication work that needs to happen. I find that looking at a past paper helps in terms of matching style to style.

Warmest regards,

Moira

by Judith McBride - Thursday, 22 February 2018, 1:12 AM

Hello again,

I thought I had it right, will try again.

Thank you for your patience,

Judy