Open reviewing process

Applying my living values of respect, integrity and creativity

Picture of Julian Manuel
Re: Applying my living values of respect, integrity and creativity
by Julian Manuel - Thursday, 10 May 2018, 6:00 PM

Apologies - I'm not computer savvy and I uploaded, after several attempts, my article without a title and an author! I hope this is better. Julian

Picture of Caitriona McDonagh
Re: Applying my living values of respect, integrity and creativity
by Caitriona McDonagh - Monday, 28 May 2018, 2:36 PM

Dear Julian,

I am responding to you draft paper of 10th May.

I think your ideas have the makings of a very interesting and scholarly paper. At the moment however, the structure makes it difficult for me, as the reader, to appreciate your work fullly.

My personal experience is that journal articles have to be quite concise and the reader has certain expectations. These generally include the value-based explanations of the author’s influence in her own learning and the learning of others where she lives and/or works. Each of these descriptions and explanations need to be interlinked and not written as a separate series of events. I find that they rarely even follow in chronological order. So, although this is not my paper may I suggest that you might possibly lay out your article slightly differently. Possibly shorten the contextual issues and introduce only what is necessary for the reader in order that s/he can understand your research. It is your paper, so the choice is totally yours.

In your abstract and throughout your paper, you have clearly explained your values and your living contradictions. I would love to see some data about your actions and new learning. Yours is a very interesting and descriptive paper but the required research actions are not so clearly presented and explained.

Here are some questions that might help you refocus your research paper with the readers in mind:

Have I provided sufficient detail of my living-educational-theory for it to be understood?

Are there sufficient details of how I have validated my claims to know so that the reader can share in that knowledge?

In my own career as a support teacher, I was working in a system which I perceived as unjust to my students with learning difficulties. My research focus became how I could change myself. I cannot change others nor institutional norms, but I can change me. You have provided descriptions of many instances, where your value base has also been challenged. Might you consider pointing the lens of your writing on how you have changed your actions or your understanding of them as a result of your reflections on your values and their denial in practice? Finally, could you also recheck some references (see attached). 

Whatever you decide, I am looking forward to the next iteration of your paper

Thanks

Caitriona