Open reviewing process

relections on the development of a Black African Male Educator anf Gifts of Thesis writing

Picture of Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede
relections on the development of a Black African Male Educator anf Gifts of Thesis writing
by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Friday, 2 February 2018, 4:16 PM

Hi Marie

kindly receive paper as requested.

I hope to hear from the reviewers soon.

Thanks

Jerome

Picture of Moira Laidlaw
Re: relections on the development of a Black African Male Educator anf Gifts of Thesis writing
by Moira Laidlaw - Monday, 5 February 2018, 11:31 AM

Hello Jerome. I am delighted to be acting as one of your reviewers again, and I want to say how much I have enjoyed your new article. I find such joy and hope in it, qualities so significant for education, in my opinion. Your paper brings the reader into a place of change and reflection and diligence and hope and vision. I felt as if I were experiencing something of your own journey as you took the reader through the various stages of your educational development and its impact on other people you were working with. I love the inclusion of your own poetic writings, as these - to my mind - lend the paper a kind of truth that it is easy to leave behind in academic articles.

I have a significant criticism and a more minor one.

Throughout the paper you make claims which you don't often offer evidence for. You say you felt, or understood differently, and this impacted on the work you did subsequently. But I don't often see evidence for that, perhaps in examples or even anecdotes. Your paper is full of claims, but, if I may say so, doesn't always do them justice, or breathe life into them with examples where you lived your new truths.

I wonder if, for the sake of keeping to upper word limits for EJOLTS papers, you might claim less and offer the reader more in terms of substance. I don't want to kill off the life of your paper - because it is sometimes to be found in the poetic power of the writing that some of the life of it resides. However, as an academic paper for EJOLTS, I believe the lack of evidence to be a weakness.

The minor criticism is that your paper is not yet presented in the correct format for publication in EJOLTS and this will also need to taken care of if I am to recommend it for publication.

Jerome, I think this is a really important paper and it needs to be published. The poetry of it demands publication.

I have written quite a lot on the paper itself - which I attach here.

I hope that my comments are encouraging and not demotivating in any way. If they are, then I have pitched my response unwisely. I believe in this paper. I believe in its power to communicate even more strongly, if some of the amendments are made.

Warmest regards, Moira

Picture of Neil Boland
Re: relections on the development of a Black African Male Educator anf Gifts of Thesis writing
by Neil Boland - Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 12:00 AM

Hello Jerome,

Thank you for posting your article to EJOLTS. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it and beginning to get to know something of your journey.

I have marked up the copy below - I hope my comments are understandable and helpful to you. They form themselves around two main points, both of which I am sure you are able to clarify.

You make a number of statements about the end point of your doctoral journey, which I have no doubt is an accurate expression of how things are. As this is an academic journal , you will need to back these up and verify them so the reader is able to experience as well the path your journey took.

The second point I have is that the journey is often more important and telling than the arrival point. I read with real interest about the destination you have reached now you've finished your doctorate. I find myself wanting to know more about how you got to this place, the challenges and difficulties, successes and contradictions, formative moments on the way and so on. That would, for me, make it an even richer account of this process.

There are some repetitions you may like to address and formatting/referencing issues. These are minor (though also important).

Thank you again for this opportunity to read your work; I know that I will continue to think about what you have written as I go through the day. There is a power to your story which needs telling. I look forward to the next iteration.

With best wishes,

Neil