Open reviewing process

Travels in education: Towards Waldorf 2.0

Picture of Neil Boland
Re: Travels in education: Towards Waldorf 2.0
by Neil Boland - Tuesday, 20 June 2017, 3:49 AM

Many thanks, Sadruddin, for your helpful comments. I will see what I can find along the lines of photos, images and the like to help explain the text. Your recommendation to explain some of the terms and concepts in more detail is a good one. I will make sure I do it in the next iteration.

Thank you again,

Neil

Picture of Neil Boland
by Neil Boland - Monday, 18 September 2017, 4:24 AM

Hello,

I have just uploaded the revised copy of this article. I was very grateful for your comments and I hope that I have been able to do justice to what you suggested.

I look forward to you comments this time.

Best wishes,

Neil
Picture of Pip Bruce Ferguson
by Pip Bruce Ferguson - Thursday, 21 September 2017, 5:20 AM

Dear Neil

You have done a great deal of work on this iteration, and to my mind it is nearly there (and obviously, your other reviewers will have their own perspectives on whether it has yet met the criteria for publication recommendation).

It is a thick, rich account of your action research and your attempts to investigate and improve Waldorf educational practices. I do think, and have pointed out where in several places on the track-changed attachment, that you need to more pointedly make this a Living Educational Theory account. You've done a great job of more clearly articulating your values and covertly demonstrating how you hold yourself to account in working these out in your practice, but as you are submitting to a Living Educational Theory journal, you should be overt about this also. I went back and revisited Moira's advice in the first iteration - I can see that you have addressed most of her points, but I think there are still a couple that need further explanation or linking.

There are also a couple of places where I think you've made assertions or claims, but need to provide evidence of why you made that claim (e.g., about how you realised Maori cosmology linked to Steiner's work). Some of the remaining comments in the track changed version are my usual engagement with the text, particularly as, like yourself as tauiwi, although I was born Kiwi, I've had to expand my knowledge of indigenous educational and cultural practices and there are authors whose work I think you might enjoy, but obviously who don't have to be included in this iteration.

It is a great paper and a joy to read, and I look forward to seeing it published soon!

Warm regards

Pip

Picture of sadruddin qutoshi
by sadruddin qutoshi - Wednesday, 27 September 2017, 7:27 PM

Dear Neil,

I really enjoyed reading your paper and it looks very interesting. The paper shows you have worked hard and incorporated feedback from reviewers. Well done for your efforts. Neil, it looks ready for publishing with little efforts to address few of the comments here and there (so, please find the attached paper for further details about the comments).

Using postmodern genre your image/s play vital role to enable readers in making their own meaning without excluding what you expect readership to make sense of your living theory account.  There is a clear flow of expression about how you came up with your living theory account of your 35 years of experiences with your embodied values except a few paragraphs as highlighted for an example. One thing I am still feeling thirsty in knowing more about your ‘lived spirituality’ as it has been one of my interested area which I have also talked in my doctoral thesis published from actionresearch.net.

Neil, It would be my humble submission to revisit few of the terms here and there which still demand to explain in simple words (giving your own personal meaning of those terms like, mansplanning, aggressive nationalism, predatory capitalism, to name but a few.

wish you best of luck for your publication

Picture of Neil Boland
by Neil Boland - Saturday, 11 November 2017, 1:50 AM

Thank you for your replies and for the time you have taken to read what I submitted. I have reworked the paper and I hope address the points raised. I am grateful for the feedback as it has allowed me to think a lot more deeply about the article and how I express myself in it.

Pip, I have run this past colleagues who are tangata whenua and profited from their comments. The outcome of doing this will likely be another couple of joint articles or talks which is in itself valuable.

Sadruddin, I would love to write more about lived spirituality as that is the underpinning of all my work, but it is going to have to wait for another time. I have started the article, however.

Many thanks again and I look forward to your comments,

Neil

Picture of Moira Laidlaw
by Moira Laidlaw - Saturday, 11 November 2017, 1:16 PM

Hi Neil. I love the redraft. I feel you really engage with the ideas that came up from the last iteration and that this is now, clearly, a Living Theory paper. Your reflections on values that emerge and develop over time in relationship and through processes come through this draft persuasively.

I have no hesitation at all in recommending your paper for publication in EJOLTS.

It has been a real pleasure for me in working with you throughout the review process. Thank you.

All the best, Moira

Picture of sadruddin qutoshi
by sadruddin qutoshi - Saturday, 11 November 2017, 6:47 PM

Dear Neil,

First of all congratulations for your efforts in improving this paper at this level. I really enjoyed reading this new version and it is ready for publication now.

However, i have come up with a few comments in the paper that i am attaching for your kind consideration if that is possible. otherwise its oky.

Neil, i have added few words that you can just 'reject' or 'accept' if that make any sense or not..e.g., in continuation of one of your sentences i.e.,  " I agree with Bullough and Pinnegar when they state that "the consideration of ontology, of one's being in and toward the world should be a central feature of any discussion of the value of self-study research" (2004, p. 319)." Perhaps, that may be one of the reasons that I am creating this living theory account as an evidence of this influence on self as a result of the inspiration that carry hope to create ripple effects on ‘sociocultural and socio-pedagogical others’ to influence their learning (Qutoshi, 2016, p.1).

once again congratulations!

best regards and

love.Sadruddin

Picture of Pip Bruce Ferguson
by Pip Bruce Ferguson - Monday, 13 November 2017, 10:45 PM

Dear Neil

It’s a great paper and I warmly recommend publication. You’ve addressed the Living Theory pointers well, and I am glad you had input from your Māori colleague. The addition of Te Whare Tapa Wha and the links between its terminology and Waldorf education are really helpful.

A couple of minor things to check: you may well be copying “Lilly Watson” correctly from someone else’s work, but I have cited her before and I think she’s Lila, not Lilly. Perhaps check before submitting final to editors. Also, in the quotation from Cahill, I think the word difficulty appears where it should read “difficult” in the context.

Well done Neil.

Warm regards

Pip

Picture of Neil Boland
by Neil Boland - Thursday, 16 November 2017, 1:12 AM

Dear Moira, Pip and Sadruddin,

Many thanks for all your constructive comments and for the thumbs up for publication. The paper is immeasurably stronger for your input and suggestions and I am very grateful to you for your care and time. It has been a powerful process and I look forward to publishing in EJOLTS in the future.

With thanks and greetings from the springtime November sunshine,

Neil
Picture of Neil Boland
by Neil Boland - Thursday, 16 November 2017, 9:04 PM

And here is the finalised file. I have adopted your comments, checked that the citations are in the references and vice versa, got two more colleagues to read it for typos and I hope it is ready to go.

Many thanks,

Neil