by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Monday, 22 May 2017, 12:27 AM

Hi Marie

Thanks for your help. I hope have done as expected

thanks once more.

Jerome

Picture of Stephen Bigger
Re: Journey to Living TheoryDevelopment-Challenges of a Doctoral Research
by Stephen Bigger - Monday, 12 June 2017, 11:34 AM

Hello Jerome, Research never goes smoothly so always have a Plan B! Here are some comments, as you have some rewriting to do i think

Quite a few spelling errors – check it carefully.

Autobiographical writing can tend to be descriptive rather than analytical. You have examined  autoethnography and the anthropology of geste and rhythm in the past so you do have theoretical things to write about. Ethnography is about observing as well as interviewing, so you should be more positive about what you observed and not just see it as an obstruction to your interviewing. Ethnography also seeks to sniff out the differences between what is said and what is observed. So try to write up an account of your collaborative involvement and ask reflexive and critical questions of it.

I am  re-reading Donna Qualley, Turns of Thought: Teaching Composition as Reflexive Inquiry. Don’t rush out to buy it, it is out of print I think. I will summarise. Donna taught English composition (free writing) and encouraged her students to reflect on aspects of their lives. You are writing about a project you are undertaking which I expect covers an aspect of reality which you consider important. Tell us why it is important to you. She discusses reflexivity in terms of herself moving to work in Australia and finding many of her values misunderstood and mocked. She worked too hard in a ‘why bother’ context. Reflexivity is about the puzzlement and discomfort of finding life not as you expect it to be. She defines criticality as the ability (or preparedness) to step outside your own preconceptions and view things as through the eyes of someone else, in order to see the issues in new or fuller ways - the classic position of the phenomenologist (and she cites Alfred Schutz). Not to prove oneself right, but to make reality clearer. Her students reflexive writing was openly discussed with their peers to learn from the comments. She moved on to reading reflexively (asking personal questions when reading around the issue). She moves on to collaborative inquiry, viewing reflexivity as a joint enterprise. Reflecting on your work, see if you can step outside of your presuppositions and see the issues from the eyes of others. After that, you can happily critique what you find, but hopefully from a more balanced point of view.

Your comments on the oral are interesting and there are implications for research. Recording orality is important, using observations as I explain above. There is a lot of scope for recording and video  if you can calm down and stroke your ancestors. Hope this helps,  Stephen Bigger

Picture of Liz Wolvaardt
by Liz Wolvaardt - Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 12:03 PM

Dear Jerome,

This account of your living theory is a powerful one that, with some work, will add to our understanding of 'being' (in your case a Zulu I think) and 'being' a doctoral student (when we are all a very strange being indeed) at the same time.  You have highlighted the points of contact and the points of departure very well so I look forward to the next versions when we have a dialogue now that the introductions have been made.

I can only think when I write so I have commented directly on the text! 

Picture of Jack Whitehead
by Jack Whitehead - Friday, 23 June 2017, 2:12 PM

Dear Jerome - sorry for the delay, I have been at the '1st Global Assembly on Knowledge Democracy: Towards an ecology of knowledges' in Cartagena, Colombia where Boaventura de Sousa Santos gave the keynote. I think that his ideas on 'intercultural translation' are most relevant to your paper and I'm wondering if the following suggestion might help to strengthen the significance of your writings.

I am impressed with your points about the importance of orality and I know that you are familiar with Joan Conolly's translations of the work of Marcel Jousse. I'm wondering if you might like to add a paragraph to your Abstract that draws attention to the significance of your writings in relation to de Sousa Santos' ideas on the importance of intercultural translation? You can access my review of:

de Sousa Santos, B. (2014). Epistemologies of the South: Justice against Epistemicide. London: Paradigm Publishers. 

at http://ejolts.net/node/288 in the December 2016 issue of EJOLTS.

I think that you could use the idea of intercultural translation to explain the significance of bringing indigenous knowledge from African oral cultures, into Western epistemologies.  If I am not being clear in my suggestion do please let me know as I would very much like to see your work appear in EJOLTS.

Picture of Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede
by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Tuesday, 11 July 2017, 9:54 AM

Hello Marie

I finally got it right. Thanks for your help. I have responded to the comments in red for easy identification of my responses.

You will forgive me if that is not allowed. I struggle as I learnt the computer through trial and error.

I hope things will be fine from now onwards.

Thanks once more.

Jerome

by Jack Whitehead - Saturday, 15 July 2017, 9:12 AM

Dear Jerome - many thanks for the pleasure of reading your latest draft. I have learnt much from your narrative of the development of your living-educational-theory (as a Black, Zule Male Educator). I shall be recommending it for publication - if it is accepted for publication by the editorial board,  the minor typographical corrections will be corrected at proof-reading.

I have one question about your title. The present title is:

Journey to Living Theory Development-Challenges of Doctoral Research.

I'm wondering if the originality of your contribution might be communicated better by including 'Black male educator' in the title

Journey to Living Theory Development of a Black Male Educator-Challenges of Doctoral Research.

or even better by including Zulu in the title

Journey to Living Theory Development of a Black, Zulu Male Educator -Challenges of Doctoral Research.

See what you think.

Love Jack.

by Jack Whitehead - Saturday, 15 July 2017, 9:12 AM

Dear Jerome - many thanks for the pleasure of reading your latest draft. I have learnt much from your narrative of the development of your living-educational-theory (as a Black, Zule Male Educator). I shall be recommending it for publication - if it is accepted for publication by the editorial board,  the minor typographical corrections will be corrected at proof-reading.

I have one question about your title. The present title is:

Journey to Living Theory Development-Challenges of Doctoral Research.

I'm wondering if the originality of your contribution might be communicated better by including 'Black male educator' in the title

Journey to Living Theory Development of a Black Male Educator-Challenges of Doctoral Research.

or even better by including Zulu in the title

Journey to Living Theory Development of a Black, Zulu Male Educator -Challenges of Doctoral Research.

See what you think.

Love Jack.

by Stephen Bigger - Saturday, 15 July 2017, 5:14 PM

I agree with modification of title to include Zulu Black Male Educator  Stephen

by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Thursday, 20 July 2017, 12:02 AM

Dear  Jack

Thanks a lot for the comments and introducing me to Santos's ideas which resonate with most of Marcel Jousse's ideas in The Anthropology of Geste and Rhythm.

My thesis title ends with ..of the Black African Male Educator so addition of what you have suggested is accepted.

Thank you for your guidance. I will be posting my iteration soon but I am still dealing with Stephen's comments and guidance.

Regards

Jerome  

by Stephen Bigger - Saturday, 15 July 2017, 4:07 PM

15th July.

Hi Jerome

Thank you for putting your changes in red – that was helpful. I really enjoyed this iteration.

I found your personal account (call it autobiography or autoethnography if you wish) opened up a window on southern African family community, and very moving. Your data collection project pales  into insignificance. Your discussion of your names is a world in microcosm and brings home how divisive ‘separate development’ actually was.  Your first reaction to set-backs is negative, as if these pressures put you off from real study. But they are actually a real part of real study, so write about them with more confidence. If you don’t manage to do formal interviews because you are cooking a sheep, then write an observational piece. Descriptive writing can be better than poor quality video. You have the skeleton here for an insider ethnography. 

Your thoughts about ubuntu (humanity) and ukuhlonipha (respect) are important, and what you call (but do not develop) ‘hybrid forms of cultural understanding’. See if you can develop this  a little.

Pardon me for giving you details of a few things I have written, not as a condition of my approval but because I think you may be interested. The first focuses on  (I remember a reviewer telling me I had to cite his article, which was terrible and nothing to do with my topic). But I have written three things for a southern African context which in the longer term you might find of interest. The first is on San (Bushman) thought processes in its context. There are post-colonial and post-apartheid observations here in your work which are important

Ethno-spirituality: A postcolonial problematic? Alternation Special Edition 3 (2009) 218 - 236 ISSN 1023-1757 Association for the Study of Religion in Southern Africa http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/787/.

Two are embargoed but I can email on request. The first  is on phronesis in Aristotle, ‘practical knowledge/wisdom’ and includes education for social justice. The second is on the contribution of anthropologist Victor Turner’s Zambian fieldwork.

Critical Phronesis: Marriage, Religion, and Critical Pedagogy, in AlterNation (Pretoria, South Africa), Special Issue 2014. Attached separately

Betwixt and Between, Liminality and Fruitful Chaos: Victor Turner’s African Fieldwork, forthcoming 2017, AlterNation, Pretoria, South Africa. (attached)

In one other. A PhD student (now graduate) used blog technology to catch his autoethethnographic observations. Private of course, visible only to him and me. I wrote it up here: http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/707/. Being sharable, it stimulated conversations between the two of us. It was an encouragement to download thoughts at the end of a busy, much as my grandfather left me his page a day diaries.

Once you have reflected on the final comments of all of us, your article will be ready for publication and will make a substantial contribution to knowledge.

Stephen Bigger

by Stephen Bigger - Saturday, 15 July 2017, 4:09 PM

My other paper on phronesis is included here

Picture of Liz Wolvaardt
by Liz Wolvaardt - Monday, 17 July 2017, 10:02 AM

Dear Jerome,

I have read the current version with interest and agree with Jack and Stephen on the title change.  I will suggest that this paper is accepted and congratulate you on your reflective journey.  We often seem to lose people in our doctoral studies (you write that some of your relatives see you as aloof), but I am glad that you have found a deeper understanding of the complex nature of 'self' in the process.

And continue to write poetry...Africa needs doctorates, but we also need poets!

Kind regards,

Liz

by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Thursday, 20 July 2017, 12:17 AM

Dear Liz

Thanks for your encouraging comments. I am busy with Stephen's comments and the texts that he has emailed for me to read. I will post the iteration as soon as I have dealt with what he has suggested.

As pupils at primary school we were told that we must study so as  not to suffer in the future. I think the correct advice would be,  to be able to face suffering. The idea that I had about education and being educated is different from what I am experiencing.

I am enjoying the challenges.

Regards

Jerome

Re: Journey to Living TheoryDevelopment of a Black African(Zulu) Male Educator-Challenges of a Doctoral Research
by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Thursday, 20 July 2017, 8:47 PM

Hi Marie

Kindly receive my 3rd iteration for further review. Your support and that of the review team has kept me busy and excited.

Thanks for the learning the whole process has offered me.

Regards

Jerome

Re: Journey to Living TheoryDevelopment of a Black African(Zulu) Male Educator-Challenges of a Doctoral Research
by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Thursday, 20 July 2017, 8:47 PM

Hi Marie

Kindly receive my 3rd iteration for further review. Your support and that of the review team has kept me busy and excited.

Thanks for the learning the whole process has offered me.

Regards

Jerome

by Stephen Bigger - Sunday, 23 July 2017, 3:05 PM

Hi Jerome, I have attached your article with some comments on. Some are for you, others for a desk editor for example about merging short paragraphs into longer ones. I note you have changed tack and the paper is better for it. You social critique is excellent. It is one thing for us  to read about racist society, it is quite another to live it. You have given us a window into this world. I wonder if your title could be simplified by removing the subtitle about being school manager. It is a bit restricting.  I missed your entertaining account of your names. And your account of language issues. I am sure the journal could tolerate a few more wise words.

I am recommending acceptance since I assume you will fine-tune any final comments we all make. Well done. I could this a worthwhile way of spending a Sunday morning.  Best wishes, Stephen

by Jack Whitehead - Sunday, 23 July 2017, 5:26 PM

Dear Jerome - Many thanks for the pleasure of reviewing your submission to EJOLTS.  I like Stephen's point about shortening your title to:

Living Theory Development of Black African (Zulu) Male Educator.

The points Stephen makes will be taken account of in the final editing/proof reading stage. I'm delighted to be able to recommend publication.

by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Thursday, 3 August 2017, 12:25 PM

Marie

Kindly receive the right paper as promised. That is : Journey to living theory development3rd iteration NOT Living theory development.... management of a rural school, which would be my second submission/paper that I am also busy with.

Thanks

Jerome

by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Thursday, 3 August 2017, 12:37 PM

Dear Stephen

I profusely apologize for the confusion I have caused.

The paper that I sent to you was not the right one but thanks for the comments on it. I have thus sent the right one to  Marie and explained what happened. Attached please find copy too

Forgive me for my foolish mistake.

Jerome

by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 10:49 PM

Hi Stephen

Thanks a lot for the comments and the texts that accompanied them. I have tried to look for the meaning of the expression ...cooking a sheep but failed. those that I asked could not help. Please help.

I have tried to clarify why my paper does not have interviews. I think my next iteration will have something similar to an observational piece.

I am still working on the paper.

Thanks once more.

Jerome

by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Thursday, 20 July 2017, 12:08 AM

Hi Marie

I am now sailing and enjoying using the forum. Your help is greatly appreciated. I will do the website task as soon as I am done with the 3rd iteration.

Comments from all the reviewers and the texts that they sent me were very helpful and interesting.

Regards

Jerome

Picture of Liz Wolvaardt
by Liz Wolvaardt - Monday, 24 July 2017, 8:26 AM

Dear Jerome,

I hope that this is not your last paper that you submit on your living theory and that you will continue to write poetry. 

I am more than happy to suggest acceptance of the paper and please let me know if you publish your poetry as well!

Kind regards,

Liz

by Jerome Thamsanqa Gumede - Thursday, 3 August 2017, 10:16 AM

Dear Liz

Thanks for all that you as the review team has/have done.

I have three papers that I am planning to submit but I have decided to concentrate on the one that you have read.

I do not know whether it will be wise to post another one too.

I have not published any of my poems.I have them as a book twenty one poems including the one you read.

I have tried more than five people to help me publish but all of them have kept me waiting or sometimes not honouring appointments.

You advice will be highly appreciated.

Kind regards

Jerome