Published papers

Making the ‘impossible’ possible; using a Living Theory methodology to improve my practice

Swaroop Rawal
Making the ‘impossible’ possible; using a Living Theory methodology to improve my practice
by Swaroop Rawal - Friday, 28 April 2017, 2:16 PM

Hi, everyone,

Please find attached my article Making the ‘impossible’ possible; using a Living Theory methodology to improve my practice for review.

I look forward to reading your comments and improving my article.

The article is a multi-media representation of my classroom and consists of 3 films, raw video footage, photographs and reflections. It is huge file and so it is difficult to upload. I have uploaded a  PDF version (because it is easy to upload and because all the photos etc stay in place).

Appendix 5-9 are the transcripts of the videos in the article. 

I hope you enjoy the article.

Love, Swaroop

(Edited by Marie Huxtable - original submission Friday, 28 April 2017, 2:07 PM)

Picture of Stephen Bigger
Re: Making the ‘impossible’ possible; using a Living Theory methodology to improve my practice
by Stephen Bigger - Sunday, 30 April 2017, 2:05 PM

Hi Swaroop, long time no see! You have me again I am afraid! Nice to keep seeing your blog.  Stephen

Swaroop Rawal
Re: Making the ‘impossible’ possible; using a Living Theory methodology to improve my practice
by Swaroop Rawal - Sunday, 30 April 2017, 6:46 PM

Hi Stephen,

I am so excited ! And it is absolutely my pleasure to have you as my reviewer. 

Can't wait to hear from you.

Swaroop

by Stephen Bigger - Friday, 5 May 2017, 12:51 PM

Swaroop

The development of a hands-on project with primary pupils is worthy, interesting and exciting. The strength of the paper lies in the description and discussion of what happened. It can only have motivated and inspired those children to have wider aspirations. I did something similar using drama in 1987 and the children remembered it long afterwards. Such projects have become rather difficult now that the National Curriculum have put the curriculum in a straight-jacket. Of course follow-up is also important and i am sure you have thoughts  about wider curriculum change so curriculum progress does not depend on one ‘expert’ coming in to do ‘something different’. How does the germ of your idea become mainstream? I also did a lot of work on pre-vocational education in primary schools up to 1992. I have a whole manuscript on environmental education that never went anywhere. I may be able to find some of my old papers.

I have marked up some comments to deepen your thought in the early part of the paper, including on Martin Buber. That is attached below.

Good luck with it,  Stephen

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Saturday, 6 May 2017, 8:30 AM

Thanks Stephen...will be back with the reply soooooon

Love, Swaroop

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Sunday, 7 May 2017, 7:56 AM

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your insightful comments they truly got me thinking. I have replied to most, only there were one or two which I did not understand. I have replied to your comments and they start with 'SR:'

Looking forward to getting the rest.

Thanks again,

Love,

Swaroop

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Sunday, 7 May 2017, 5:43 PM

Hello Stephen,

This I a reply to you comment [SB15]

The TVEI Curricular design in UK was for four years in the 14-18 age range-(school Years 9-11). In India children of 10-13 years attend Primary School and that is the age group I am working with.  

‘TVEI was at its peak between 1983 and 1987 when it most certainly drove the 14-18/19 agenda but from around 1988 its influence waned as the DES reasserted itself and the National Curriculum gained increased momentum. The initiative was increasingly marginalised and eventually ended in 1997...... Also the emerging National Curriculum helped to kill off the initiative. I believe that the lessons learnt from the TVEI development could provide a rich harvest for future projects in 14 to 19 education and training and merit further exploitation.’

Dale. R. ‘The TVEI.’ Esland. G. (Ed) ‘Education, Training and Employment.’ Volume 2.The Educational Response. ISBN 0-201-54430-X. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company/OU. 1991.

Retrieved from https://technicaleducationmatters.org/2011/11/12/the-technical-and-vocational-education-initiative-tvei-1983-1997/

Love, Swaroop

by Stephen Bigger - Monday, 22 May 2017, 5:14 PM

Thanks for this. We worked also with primary schools using parallel funding, such as Enterprise Education. We viewed it as being non-age specific.   Stephen

Picture of Liz Campbell
by Liz Campbell - Thursday, 4 May 2017, 2:43 AM

Hello Swaroop,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your account of making the impossible possible. I was reminded of Maria Montessori and the challenges she faced when she tried to introduce her methods to the bureaucrats and now look how popular her work is on an international level.

Your account is very detailed and resonates with passion and honesty. You have provided sufficient evidence for your knowledge claims and described your methodology in a clear and concise manner.

I have some concerns and questions about the some of the language reflecting more of an I/it relationship which is certainly not the spirit of your paper. I have marked these in the attached paper with some other suggestions and revsions.

I would be happy to discuss and of my comments with you if you have questions or need more clarification. This is simply my opinion based on my interpretation.

Love & Joy

Liz

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Thursday, 4 May 2017, 12:22 PM

Hi Liz,

Wow! Thanks a lot...

I really enjoyed reading your comments and have started incorporating some of the changes (some typos I had already corrected yesterday...I have a horrible habit of not 'reading' what I am writing...).

but your thoroughness deserves an equally thorough reply... so I think i will take at least till tomorrow evening to reply. I wish I could sit and do it right now but it is evening in India and it is time to go home.

I do not think I need any clarifications from you but I do think I need to be more clear in some places.

Sooooo.... I will write back with a clearer version of my article.

Love, Swaroop

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Saturday, 6 May 2017, 10:39 AM

Hello Liz,

Thanks for your corrections and comments. 

I have incorporated all the corrections and replied to your comments in the doc attached to this reply. 

I hope I have been able to answer your concerns effectively.

Love, Swaroop

Picture of Liz Campbell
by Liz Campbell - Wednesday, 10 May 2017, 2:40 AM

Hello Swaroop,

Thanks for the detailed response. You have addressed all the concerns I noted and offered additional information which provides insight into your ideas and claims. It is a little challenging to appreciate an educational context that is so different from mine even though the similarities are also numerous. 

I propose that your paper is ready for publication

I offer the following for your consideration as you continue to improve your practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYYbYyGbEcc

Love & Joy,

Liz

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Wednesday, 10 May 2017, 9:01 AM

Dear Liz,

Thank you very much. 

I really enjoyed watching the link you posted and found some more links to Peter Grey's videos. I will see them too.

Personally, I find this process of writing, review, re-view, very exciting. There is so much to learn, the process seem unending.

Thanks a lot.

Love, Swaroop

Picture of Marie Huxtable
by Marie Huxtable - Saturday, 20 May 2017, 9:21 PM

Hi Liz

Interesting - thanks. I havent had time to watch the whole video but have looked at shorter summaries like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1zlU5vbMk

Reminds me of A.S. Neill and Summerhill - http://www.summerhillschool.co.uk/

Picture of Arianna Briganti
by Arianna Briganti - Sunday, 7 May 2017, 4:38 PM

Hi Swaroop,

thank you so much for sharing your beautiful and powerful experience with your pupils. I really enjoyed your paper and most of all I enjoyed  the videos and the movie. Their happy faces, their curiosity, their laughter and their sense of puzzlement (sometimes) are an injection of love, hope and good mood! I very much appreciate the way you decided to fill the gap created  by the non value-based educational practice in India as well as the non inclusive National Skill Development Mission launched by Modi. I also think that turning your living contradiction into practice was an excellent way not only to live your values fully, but also to engage in practice-based activities that can provide the Government's guidelines with a counter-voice, based on your school's achievements.

I'm very much looking forward to reading more about the way you are pursuing sustainability, which might lead the children to generate something new on their own. Really exciting!  

I attach here your paper in .pdf with my comments. I deleted the url since they were too heavy. However I can email you the original file in word if needed.

In my next message I'll attach the rubric. Apparently I'm allowed to attach only 1 file per email.

Great work Swaroop!

Love

Arianna 

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Monday, 8 May 2017, 11:47 AM

Dear Arianna, 

Thank you for your comments. At the onset I would like to say i am really happy you enjoyed my paper and especially my videos. A lot of effort has gone into creating the workshop and the films. Many of your comments brought a smile to my face. I thank you for them. 

In the attachment I have answered all your queries. I hope they brings more clarity. 

In the following reply I have attached an unpublished conference paper which I presented at the International Conference of Transformative Education Research and Sustainable Development. Organised by Murdoch University and University of Nepal, 2016.

looking forward to hearing from you. 

Love, Swaroop

by Arianna Briganti - Friday, 12 May 2017, 9:36 PM

Dear Swaroop,

Thank you for your message. I'm currently travelling and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Love

Arianna 

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Monday, 8 May 2017, 11:52 AM

Hi Arianna,

I hope this explains my point 

Commentato [AB55]:

You ask: And if you don’t believe that you could make the ‘impossible’ possible can you change your mind?

I say: No, I can make the ‘impossible’ possible and have done it with children with special needs in my doctoral work. 

The role of drama in enhancing life skills in children with specific learning disabilities in a Mumbai School: My reflective account

http://www.actionresearch.net/living/rawal.shtml

I have carried out successful interventions before see for example the paper attached.

love, Swaroop

by Arianna Briganti - Sunday, 14 May 2017, 5:45 PM

Hi Swaroop,

Please find attached my comments on your comments :-)

I hope this helps.

Wishing you a lovely day

Love

Arianna 

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Friday, 19 May 2017, 11:42 AM

Thank You Arianna,

I have tried to add more clarity to my reply. I do hope this answers your queries.

Have a lovely day...

Love,

Swaroop

by Arianna Briganti - Tuesday, 23 May 2017, 10:25 AM

Hi Swaroop,

Thank you for your message and for sending the latest iteration of your paper, which I really enjoyed. I recommend it for publication, despite the fact that I believe there are still a few places, as I have indicated, that might be explained differently in order to help another reader fully into what is an inspiring text. You’ve been quite clear in saying that you choose not to do so, which I fully respect as you are the sole author of the paper.  I wish you and the children you teach all the best and I look forward to reading the published text.

Arianna 

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Tuesday, 23 May 2017, 11:21 AM

Dear Arianna, 

Thanks a lot for the warm wishes...and participating in a dialogue with me. It really helps to know what the reader thinks. We may have a few differences of opinions , however, I also know we wish the best for the children we work with and make all efforts to realize our dreams to create and facilitate education that is life changing.

A few of the stands I had to take were in reference to Indian education and educational changes I wish to set in motion in India. Believe me I know, as I am the Governing Council member of Save the Children- India and we are working extensively for survival, education and protection of -Every Last Child.

Additionally I work closely with the Government of India and our aim here too is, Education For All.

Thanks a lot again for all you comments they really helped me.

Love, Swaroop

by Arianna Briganti - Sunday, 7 May 2017, 4:41 PM

And here's the rubric!

by Marie Huxtable - Monday, 22 May 2017, 2:45 PM

Posting for Swaroop - her latest iteration 220517 and asking whether this meets the publishing criteria and reviewers are advising the Editorial Board accept for publication (formatting will be dealt with at the end of the process)

Marie

by Stephen Bigger - Monday, 22 May 2017, 5:20 PM

This version meets publishing criteria and is ready to go. It is a powerful analysis of your educational experience and related issues. The filming offers a very positive experience to pupils which should prove motivating. You have wrestled with some of the theoretic/literature issues I raised. Well done.  

Swaroop Rawal
by Swaroop Rawal - Tuesday, 23 May 2017, 9:09 AM

Thank you Stephen....best wishes.

Re: Making the ‘impossible’ possible; using a Living Theory methodology to improve my practice - published June 2017 issue
by Marie Huxtable - Friday, 23 June 2017, 2:42 PM

Delighted to see Swaroop's paper published http://ejolts.net/node/299 June 2017 vol 10, issue1, pp. 72-109