Published papers

Respecting and Legitimating The Embodied Knowledge of Practitioners In Contexts of Power Struggles

Picture of Jacqueline Delong
Respecting and Legitimating The Embodied Knowledge of Practitioners In Contexts of Power Struggles
by Jacqueline Delong - Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 4:09 PM

Hi, everyone. Please find attached my article for review. I am indebted to my colleagues who have taken time to advise me on various aspects of the paper which has been reduced from 20,000 words! 

I'd appreciate any and all assistance in strengthening the argument and the writing clarity in the article. I do like these criteria based on Whitehead (http://actionresearch.net): i)  Is my explanation as comprehensible as it could be? ii) Could I improve the evidential basis of my claims to know what I am doing? iii) Does my explanation include an awareness of historical and cultural influences in what I am doing and draw on the most advanced social theories of the day? iv) Am I showing that I am committed to the values that I claim to be living by? 

Thanks for your help.

Love, Jackie

Picture of Sonia Hutchison
Re: Respecting and Legitimating The Embodied Knowledge of Practitioners In Contexts of Power Struggles
by Sonia Hutchison - Saturday, 1 April 2017, 10:56 AM

Hi Jackie,

I've got the honour of being one of your Ejolts reviewers along with the lovely Jerry Adler, of which I am very grateful for, as Jerry has far more experience than me and has been my reviewer previously and I found his comments extremely helpful. I am glad you pointed to the criteria above as that is what I was planning to use in helping to strengthen the validity of the paper and to give me a structure to provide my review. I will be working on my review over the weekend so I am hoping to get it to you fairly soon so you have time to work on it. However, please forgive me if I get delayed as I am also working on a joint paper with Amy Dyke, which we are working to get submitted for the 14th April. 

Sonia

x

Re: Respecting and Legitimating The Embodied Knowledge of Practitioners In Contexts of Power Struggles
by Sonia Hutchison - Saturday, 1 April 2017, 7:37 PM

Hi Jackie, 

I have had a very pleasant day reviewing your paper (except for the referencing section which I always find a challenge!) 

I have found that you have met all the criteria and that you have shown evidence for your claims throughout the paper. I have attached two documents. One is of your paper with my comments. The highlights are to show me areas of significance not areas I think you should change. Any changes I suggest are in the comments. Some of the comments also highlight where I feel you are meeting the criteria or where I feel you have influenced me or moved my thinking on. I have shared these with you in the hope that they are helpful to you in general rather than specifically in the review of this paper.

I have also attached a rubric which has helped me to identify that you have met the criteria for publication once you have gone through and edited the typos and referencing errors I have picked up.

My one suggestion for improvement is to have a shorter clip in addition to the hour long clip of your students giving feedback. I think this will make it more likely the reader will actually watch the clip and just one student giving feedback would be sufficient evidence to make your point. However, I would recommend keeping the longer link as for those who are interested the full length video is an amazing inspiration for how to seek, receive and respond to feedback.

I hope this is helpful, I rather feel I was given an easy job as I suspect the real review work took place for those who helped you reduce the paper down from 20,000 words.

by Sonia Hutchison - Saturday, 1 April 2017, 7:38 PM

Rubric attached

by Sonia Hutchison - Saturday, 1 April 2017, 7:41 PM

Rubric attached. In the spirit of a 'living culture of inquiry', I would value feedback on my review in order to help me to learn and improve.

by Jacqueline Delong - Monday, 10 April 2017, 11:45 PM

Hi, Sonia. So sorry for the delay. I have been having problems with Word so in the interim I got Jack to upload your response to Googledrive. I now have Word 2016 but I have attached the version with your notes attached.

Thank you so much for you encouraging remarks. I hope that you feel that I have listened carefully to your suggestions for improvement and that I have addressed all of your concerns. Let me know what areas still need work. I do like to feel that we are strengthening the article.

Thanks again.

Love, Jackie

Picture of Jerry Allender
by Jerry Allender - Thursday, 20 April 2017, 4:45 PM

Comments on paper by Jerry Allender:

Jacqueline Delong

•••••••••••••••••••••••

First of all, I enjoyed reading your paper. Overall, the writing clearly has been aimed towards satisfying the criteria set by editors of EJOLTS. And, I agree with Sonia’s concerns that there needs to be a balance of short clips and long ones as well as regular summary statements that intersperse the general discussion. To this I would add the need to introduce and highlight wherever stories by students and others appear. What is particularly clear is the value of the research and in general how it is presented.

The main focus, therefore, of my discussion is on a brief expansion of the meaning and value of embodied knowledge of practitioners. From the perspective of the paper, in the wider research community, there is too little understanding of the knowledge that the practice of teaching generates. This is true historically as it is so currently. However, I don’t believe that arguing against this lack of understanding will be as effective as working with this reality. It is about the politics of knowledge.

Philosophical canons are created to embody power, to take charge of who has the authority to say what is right and wrong. This raises questions about action research, self-study, and the simple notion that effective practice is personal knowing, a kind of knowledge that can be shared with others as can knowledge accumulated from other points of view. We are left with the problem of strategy. Do we want to find acceptance in the larger community of scholars? Do we need to think of the accumulation of knowledge as solely the result of different kinds of scholarly knowledge? Need we be judged by the larger academic community as to the warrant of our methods of action research, self-study research, practitioner research, or some other variation of increasing the ability to improve practice? Most importantly, is there some other way of thinking about these problems?

The issue revolves around the meaning and importance of a scholarly community. Traditionally, what are the dynamics of power? And, how much messiness can we tolerate in some middle ground? Essentially, is there a way to think about practical knowledge that isn’t judged by the canons of scholarship?

A significant struggle is in the conflicts created by the lack common understanding between the efforts of your students and the insensitive response of boards reviewing their research. Human research review boards are not likely to understand methods of research that lie outside traditional canons. Our purpose is to discover flaws in current practices and experiment with change that improves practice in our view and in the responses of students. This difference marks the tension between typical scholarly communities and those of us focused on the immediate practical value of our research.

In the process of thinking through your paper, I am wondering whether there is the possibility of dodging the conflicts that have arisen. Might it be that the methods of action be embodied in the concepts of teaching? Whereas, can the research methods be limited to self-observation and description of the teaching behaviors? A separation is maintained for the purposes of the traditional canons between the teacher/student selves’ behaviors and the methods of analysis, discussion, and interpretation. The methods of analysis are spelled out. The discussion can be collaborative. And, the interpretation can be focused on improving practice.

Would it work for you weave some my thoughts and questions into your conclusions? No aspect of my critique is a deal breaker. Your paper can be published as is. My comments are suggestions. I recognize that what I have written in response to your paper might best be the subject of another paper.

Thanks for your thought-provoking work,

Jerry
by Jacqueline Delong - Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 10:43 PM

Hi, Jerry. How are you? Thank you so much for your thoughtful response to my paper. You have given me much to think about. I have included your thoughts on page 16:

A significant struggle is in the conflicts created by the lack common understanding between the efforts of your students and the insensitive response of boards reviewing their research. Human research review boards are not likely to understand methods of research that lie outside traditional canons. Our purpose is to discover flaws in current practices and experiment with change that improves practice in our view and in the responses of students. This difference marks the tension between typical scholarly communities and those of us focused on the immediate practical value of our research. 

In answer to your question, 'In the process of thinking through your paper, I am wondering whether there is the possibility of dodging the conflicts that have arisen', I think that I am getting better at 'dodging' but there is still much room for improvement! Conversations with ethical review boards to date have not been very productive but I am learning to use their language to get the students through the hoops!

In my conclusion, I asked your question: "Essentially, is there a way to think about practical knowledge that isn’t judged by the canons of scholarship?" I certainly hope so! Food for another day.

Thanks again for your help in strengthening my paper. Love, Jackie

Picture of Jerry Allender
by Jerry Allender - Thursday, 27 April 2017, 7:27 PM

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the dialogue. There is a thoughtful connection in our ways of addressing the tensions that arise between traditional approaches to research and those that take on embodied knowledge. Your paper is in my view brought to a point of publication.

Love, Jerry

by Jacqueline Delong - Saturday, 6 May 2017, 2:01 PM

Hi, Jerry. Thank you for giving me pause to think again about the tensions. There is definitely a connection!

Love, Jackie

Picture of Mark Potts
by Mark Potts - Thursday, 20 April 2017, 10:51 AM

Hi Jackie

Your paper is a joy to read. You write a very comprehensible account of your work as an action researcher who is living out your clearly expressed values of democracy, respect and love for others in developing a culture of inquiry. The video clips provide a clear illustration of your life affirming energy in demonstrating your values. This amounts to a compelling multimedia account of how you have influenced your own learning, the learning of others and the social formations through your commitment to promoting practitioner knowledge.

I particularly enjoyed your explanation of how you and your students have faced up to and overcome the resistance of the Academy, something that many of us as living theorists have experienced.

With a little bit of tidying up of grammar and spelling, as indicated by the comments (see attached), the paper is in my view ready for publication and wider readership.

Best wishes

Mark Potts

by Jacqueline Delong - Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 10:45 PM

Hi, Mark. Thank you for your very encouraging remarks. I value your positive responses. Thank you for a careful editing of the paper-I have made those corrections.

Love, Jackie

by Jacqueline Delong - Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 10:50 PM

Hi, Mark. Please find attached the paper with the corrections that you suggested. Thank you!

Love, Jackie

Picture of Mark Potts
by Mark Potts - Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 2:43 PM

That's great Jackie. I can confirm that I am recommending your paper for publication. Best wishes.

by Jacqueline Delong - Saturday, 6 May 2017, 1:58 PM

Hi, Mark. Thanks so much. 

Love, Jackie

by Sonia Hutchison - Saturday, 6 May 2017, 11:16 AM

Hi Jackie,

I am impressed with how you have taken the feedback of all the reviewers and strengthened your paper. I also thank you for your kind acknowledgements in your paper and I am glad my review was helpful and encouraging for you. I would also like to thank Jerry and Mark, I was very glad to be reviewing with such experienced reviewers to pick up on things I had not. 

I am very happy to recommend the paper for publication.

Sonia

x

by Jacqueline Delong - Saturday, 6 May 2017, 1:58 PM

Hi, Sonia. Thanks for your very thoughtfulness and your diligence in checking for the integrity of the paper to the tenets of Living Theory.

Thank you. Best wishes.

Love, Jackie 

Picture of Marie Huxtable
Re: Respecting and Legitimating The Embodied Knowledge of Practitioners In Contexts of Power Struggles - published June 2017
by Marie Huxtable - Friday, 23 June 2017, 2:44 PM

Delighted to see Jacqui's paper published http://ejolts.net/node/298 June 2017, vol 10, issue 1, pp. 43-71.